Jeep Cherokee Gas Tanks.

/ Jeep Cherokee Gas Tanks. #2  
No mention whether the SUVs were equipped with rear tow hitch and/or fuel tank skid plates. On my 2000 Cherokee I always thought those gave a little bit more protection from a rear ender.

BTW, my Cherokee was totaled by a horse that ran into it (front end collision at probably 30 miles per hour). :(

/ Jeep Cherokee Gas Tanks. #3  
It would be ironic because it was Lee Iacocca who was at Ford at the time and was part of the decision-making group who decided not to spend the $1.10 to fix the Pinto at the manufacturing plant. Then he went to Chrysler (home of Jeep).

/ Jeep Cherokee Gas Tanks. #4  
Looks like the Jeep Cherokee may be the Ford Pinto of late.

Government expands probe of Jeep gas tank fires | The Star Press | thestarpress.com

Chris

Hardly the Ford Pinto of late, my 1993 and 2000 had a plastic fuel tanks and a metal shield but you could see the fuel tank from the vehicle behind it. Not the best way to engineer it but alot of vehicles have the tanks in the back and the tanks are vulnerable to rear impact. My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the fuel tank under the rear drivers side passenger seat. Now its vulnerable to side impact. You just cant win in any vehicle, gas tanks can be impacted in a crash no matter how hard you try to protect it.

/ Jeep Cherokee Gas Tanks. #5  
Looks like the Jeep Cherokee may be the Ford Pinto of late.

Na Ford started with the Pinto... the current version they are STILL fighting is the Crown Vic that police use.

Been fixed and recalled twice? and still have a tendency to explode when run into the back of at high way speeds. not that you would ever have a police car pulled over by the side of the road close to highway speed traffic.