Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts?

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #1  

kingofbytes

Bronze Member
Hi All!

I recently purchased a new enclosed v-nose trailer 8.5 x 16. I've been researching Line-x and Raptor. The former is dealer installed and I know looks great. The current estimate I've got from the Line-X people is $800.00. The latter is a DIY spray product (which I can handle) and will probably cost abour $250 after all is said and done (prep, primer, product, misc).

The trailer will be used for light to medium hauling but really nothing that would destroy a wooden floor let alone one coated with a bed liner.

So my two questions:
1. Does the $800 for the trailer sound like a reasonable price (assuming about 200SF, 8x16, 1 ft up the walls and the ramp door)?
2. Is the Raptor stuff really that easy to prep and apply?

Any thoughts or pricing advice or recommendations of dealers would be appreciated. I'm in Portsmouth, NH.

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #2  
I've only applied Raptor to the bed of a new 2012 F150, so there was no priming involved. Scuffed it up with 220, cleaned up the dust, masked it off and sprayed it.
I'm not a painter or body man by any means, and this thing came out great. If you've got the time and inclination, why not give it a shot and save yourself $550?

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #3  
We ordered a new custom 8.5 X 24 V nose the other year. Line X wanted $2200 to do it including the ramp. Researched online and found quite a few guys getting great results with the bedliner WalMart sells that is the same as something sold at a popular auto store for double.

Decided to try it, rolled it on. Long story short, been two years getting the snot beat out of it with a dirt racing truck and everything else, not so much as a touch up needed yet. Spent something like $250 plus my time for two coats.

Would do it again on a trailer in a heartbeat. It wears like iron on the wood floor.

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts?
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Bigkrank, some questions for you:
  1. How long did it take you to complete your trailer including prep time?
  2. What was the product name at Walmart? I just checked their website and didn't find anything.
  3. How's the texture of the Walmart product?
  4. Did the Walmart product have instructions for spraying? That is, can it be sprayed?

Thanks!
kingofbytes

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #5  
I do Raptor liners and it's great stuff. Do it yourself.

Chris

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #6  
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Bigkrank, some questions for you:
  1. How long did it take you to complete your trailer including prep time?
  2. What was the product name at Walmart? I just checked their website and didn't find anything.
  3. How's the texture of the Walmart product?
  4. Did the Walmart product have instructions for spraying? That is, can it be sprayed?

2 coats, so parts of 2 days.

I'll look when I get home cause I think I bought a couple spray cans of the stuff when I bought the gallons, been 2 years. I bought them for touch up and so far no need. Got great reviews when I was looking for a product.

Anti-slip but not near as rough as Line X or Rhino.

I'm sure you CAN spray it, however I painted a lot of cars and such and have a built in spray booth here at home, and my son worked in a body shop thru college, but neither of us had any desire to masking everything and spraying inside an enclosed trailer. If you want to, have at it, I am sure that's why LineX's quote was so high, they didn't want to do it either.

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #7  
I just looked online, at first thought it was Herculiner but remember a lot of guys recommending this Rustoleum over it.

RustOleum.com

Remember, all the glowing reviews I found including mine come from using it on wood trailer floors, not truck beds. Never tried it there. Not sure if WalMart still handles it but I remember it was a little more than half what AutoZone wanted for it.

Thanks Bigkrank!

Yes, good to know that you're recommending the Rustoleum Bed Liner specifically for trailer application. Do you have pics you could share?

I've been talked into doing it myself and not spraying :>)

>>>Take Care

/ Line-x pricing vs. Raptor DIY - thoughts? #9  
Pics would show mostly mud right now, he will get it out of the building for race next weekend, if I remember I will try and take pics then.

It smells pretty bad when applied also.

Hi Folks,

I just went to my auto body guy (whom I trust and has done work for me before) and he quoted me $650 for "Vortex" to do the inside of my 8.5' x 16' v-Nose trailer.

He tells me it's like Line-x insofar as it's applied hot and can be manipulated for smoother or rougher pattern. Since I'm estimating I'd be about close to $300 all in for materials (not counting my time) to DIY...I'm thinking I'm gonna do the $650.00.

I would be curious if anyone has used Vortex and what their experiences were. Most of the articles I've read basically say the products are similar and it really boils down to the installer and prep work.