7 way vs 6 way trailer plugs

/ 7 way vs 6 way trailer plugs #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Years ago it seemed like the six way round metal trailer plugs were the most popular. Now it seems every truck or trailer I buy has the big plastic seven way. I don't need the functionality of the seven way but am thinking of changing just to be more standard and to quit having to change every thing I buy. Do the seven way connectors work well and hold up over time?

/ 7 way vs 6 way trailer plugs #2  
around here, the 6 way are usually found on ag trailers .. and also on discount trailers. i guess the 1$ they save when buildingthe trailers makes a difference int hat 6 vs 7 debate. anything with no brakes is getting the 4 flat.

I used to keep a 6 way on the truck for a couple ag trailers, but now have everything 7 and use a 7 to 6 adapter if AI need to use my ag trailer. when the 6 ways on the trailer wear out eventually.. I'll upgrade to 7 just because...

/ 7 way vs 6 way trailer plugs #3  
I work with trailers every day, maybe 75 of them a year. 99.9% are 7 pin. I have not delt with a 6 pin since about 2004 and the first thing I did with it was cut off the 6 pin and put on a 7. Reverse is what you gain with a 7 pin and its necessary for any trailer with disc brakes which are now the standard in the marine industry.

Chris

/ 7 way vs 6 way trailer plugs #4  
The 7 pin seem to hold up quite well and make a good connection due to the large flat contact surfaces.