1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight.

/ 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight.
Based on this - 1955 F500 Weight - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I think 5,000 could be in the ball park for a cab a chassis (no bed) as you stated. A 7,000 lb trailer is cutting it close. A 10,000 would be better/safer.

Interesting info on VIN - Didgey Specs 51-52

If the unit turns out to be 5500 lbs or less, I will roll the dice with the 7k gvw car hauler. If balanced correctly, I would have around 750 to 800 lbs on the tongue, which would keep the trailer axle weights below 7,000 lbs. I would prefer to use the car hauler due to its low bed height to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, since this is such a tall vehicle that I will be transporting. The truck is a very clean running driving ex grain hauler from Indiana, which was purchased minus the grain bed by a close freind. He has a rather large 37 ford street rod collection, as well as a rather large ford jubilee collection, which I am guessing is in excess of 20 various restored units. He plans to build an aluminum ramp bed on the F 500, Then bolt a show only Ford jubilee road grader with half tracks on it that he owns to the bed and show the whole thing at tractor shows. Sounds crazy, but I know he will do it and quick. The same guy did the same thing to a 41 chevy 1 ton that he hauls his street rods to shows on. That one got a 80's chassis, 454 w/EFi, 4L80 over drive and air suspension. The cool thing is his imagination for thinking this stuff up, and having the talent and ambition to do 80% of it himself . I Dont think the F 500 will be as modded as the 41. Probably nice fresh paint and detailing, a nice aluminum bed, and maybe a more modern brake system and drive train.

/ 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight. #12  
That sounds cool. Please post some pictures here once you get it and once your friend mods it.

Well things came up and we just got back from picking up the truck a few minutes ago. We used my 7k gvw load trail 82in x 18 ft car hauler and it worked awesome. The truck weighed 7700 lbs with the previously installed grain bed. My guess is that now as a cab and chassis it is well below 5k based upon how it pulled. The only two issues I had the entire trip were a gun being pointed at me at a stop light by a road raged motorist who said I kicked up something at his car, guessing he was late teens early 20's with a toddler in the back seat. The light changed and he pulled away into what looked to be a section 8 housing project in the middle of farm country. Got my adrenaline pumping a little. The wind blew me around on the way back since the Truck was so high up in the air. All and all we had a successful trip and everything came back undamaged and neither the trucks trailer or passengers have any bullet holes in them. Here are a few pics of the rig.

Attachments

• 2012-07-13_12_12_27.jpg
    2012-07-13_12_12_27.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 500
  • 2012-07-13_16_11_48.jpg
    2012-07-13_16_11_48.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 2012-07-13_16_12_05.jpg
    2012-07-13_16_12_05.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 594
   / 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight. #14  
That is a heck of a find and would make a great street rod, stock height but channeled and cleaned up a bit.
For a traditional ride a couple of those potential bullet holes might have added to the character of. Well, maybe not.

/ 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight. #15  
It looks a lot smaller on the trailer.

Glad no bullets were exchanged. This is why I carry my Taurus PT111 9MM all the time. I have had a gun pulled on me also and vowed it will never happen again. I will not pull it out to scare someone. If it comes out its getting emptied.

Chris

It looks a lot smaller on the trailer.

Glad no bullets were exchanged. This is why I carry my Taurus PT111 9MM all the time. I have had a gun pulled on me also and vowed it will never happen again. I will not pull it out to scare someone. If it comes out its getting emptied.

Chris
Chris, I have an Ohio CCW permit and sometimes carry too. The irony is that I planned to carry today and walked out of the house at 5:15AM, comepletely forgeting my gun....... which i NEVER do. I think in this case it was divine intervention. I never even saw this coming, there was no tail gating, hand gestures horn etc. I was stopped at a light on Indiana Rt 24 and he pulled up on my left in the turn lane, stopping short so he was even with me. He rolled down his window and calmly waited for me to roll mine down. I thought he was going to tell me I had a light out, flat etc, so I hung out the window to hear him over the diesel and that is when he leaned out the pass window and took aim at me for 20 or so seconds while he totaly flipped out. My one chance came when he was distracted and looked away when somebody blew there horn for him to move up. I thought I wish I had my gun now, cause I would be using it . I did not notice the toddler in the back seat which would have been in my line of fire, until he pulled away. Getting rid of him would have been a public service, but if the toddler got caught in the cross fire that would have been tough to live with, and I may not have survived the shoot out. All in all everybody came out ok, and I will never hang out a window to talk to a motorist, leaving myself totaly exposed, again.

/ 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight. #17  
Beautiful truck Ryan. It will be a real treat to see pics when you have dressed her up a bit. As far as the gun toting motorist would it not have been a good thing to report the license plate # to the police? Glad you made it back safe....Gary

Beautiful truck Ryan. It will be a real treat to see pics when you have dressed her up a bit. As far as the gun toting motorist would it not have been a good thing to report the license plate # to the police? Glad you made it back safe....Gary
Thanks Gary. The guy had beat up 30 day tag in his back window that I could not clearly read, otherwise I would have called for sure. Here is a shot of the interior

Attachments

• 2012-07-13_16_12_38.jpg
    2012-07-13_16_12_38.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 242
   / 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight. #19  
That sure brings back memories, my dad use to drive one of those.

/ 1951 Ford F-500 COE. curb weight. #20  
Ryan03 said:
Thanks Gary. The guy had beat up 30 day tag in his back window that I could not clearly read, otherwise I would have called for sure. Here is a shot of the interior

Ah yes the days before seatbelts with nice metal dashboards. Nice interior shot....Gary