Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor?

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #1  

Worriedman50

Tractor
Kubota L2800
Have purchased a new 18' trailer to haul my Kubota 2800 w/FEL on. I have been blocking the end of the dovetail with timbers to keep the rear of the trailer from sinking and the front from raising the rear of my truck when loading.

Wonder if I could install jacks at the rear of the trailer by welding on the round pipe to a plate and bolt that to the sidewalls of the trailer frame to get a "straight" lift at the dovetail. I imagine that I would need a 5000lb. jack on either side?

Not having said jack in hand, could it be removed from the pipe which is welded to the frame? Using the pin to hold the jack in line during use, then it could be removed from the trailer for the haul, if that is possible. I tend to "snag" things, and would like to be able to remove the jack if possible.

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #2  
How about a small ramp welded on the back of each ramp? When deployed the ramp would have its own brace..I saw one down in Miss. and it worked well for him. of course it would depend on how big the machine is that you are loading?? The ramps were pinned to the rear..

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #3  
   / Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor?

That is what I had in mind. Would bet I will have to drill out a "keeper" on the supplied tube to make the jack removable, but suspect that is doable.

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor?
How about a small ramp welded on the back of each ramp? When deployed the ramp would have its own brace..I saw one down in Miss. and it worked well for him. of course it would depend on how big the machine is that you are loading?? The ramps were pinned to the rear..

My ramps are stored under the trailer during road use, so I can not add to them like that.

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #6  
I just use cheap jack stands. carry 'em in pickup. quick & easy.

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #7  
TRAILER BRACKET 1 copy.jpgTRAILER BRACKET 2.jpgTRAILER BRACKET 3.jpgTRAILER BRACKET 4.jpgI purchased 2 - 5,000 # trailer tongue swing jacks that came with a welding tube for my 16' trailer. Took less than 30 minutes to install... and work perfect. i can drive my tractor onto trailer without any lifting of the truck or bouncing of the trailer.

I can either swing the jacks up afterwords or pull the pin and remove them to prevent theft of the jacks.

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #8  
My 16' Woodworth has "loading legs", 2" sq. tubing drop-down legs that set an inch or tow off the ground until weighted. When loaded, simply back up to relieve the load & swing back up. Same thing could be bolted to an existing trailer with heavy angle iron. Cheap, simple & always there!

Show in the "up" position:

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5,423
   / Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #9  
I just use cheap jack stands. carry 'em in pickup. quick & easy.

That is what I do also but mine live in my trailers tool box that also holds straps, chains, and binders. They have came in handy for other things like when I rolled off a front tire of my tractor bush hogging a field. I lifted the tractor with the FEL, took the tire off, took it to the tire shop, and in 1 hours was back to work.

Chris

/ Jacks at rear of trailer to eliminate "dip" when loading tractor? #10  
I don't think you want to use a tongue type jack whether it swivels or not -- that is the wrong type of jack for the rear. You want something that drops and raises instantly, and uses pins to set the height. It would get old cranking those things up and down all the time.

You want what's known as a drop leg, or stabilizer jack. Here's an example:

Fulton Drop-Leg Stabilizer Jack with Mounting Channel - Weld-On - 28" Leg - 13" Bracket - Fulton Trailer Jack FSJ1-SJ2

That particular one could be welded to the rear frame, but they come in many sizes and capacities. Some flip in to stow, some are vertical, etc. Lots of options, and they are simple enough that you could make your own. There are some variants intended for RVs, but most will work for a range of applications.