I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this...

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this... #1  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
I like my F350, 2000 model, even when things go wrong, such as me backing into a bush hog with the passenger fender... or the electric fuel pump deciding that after a long night on the road, it would go out at 4am when it should be taking it's tired owner home to bed.
Company I work for parking lot got flooded, and took a couple of the driver's cars with it. Lot's of ticked off drivers, but I wasn't working that night, so I got lucky. They decided to move parking to higher ground at a different location, manned only during the weekdays daytime hours. I work nights, and for some reason the powers to be decided that we should park our personal vehicles in the front parking lot. The rear lot is fenced and locked, but the front is wide open. I saw the handwriting on the wall and negotiated the purchase of my old Chevy p/u back from my Mom. I haven't gotten a license plate for it yet, so it remains in the driveway. Sunday afternoon I parked my Ford at work, and went to Destin. When I returned about 4am Monday morning, I got in the truck and drove to the main office. When I walked out of the office, I immediately saw a problem.(first time I saw the passenger side of the truck). Seems somebody removed the passenger rear fender, with lights, inner fender well cover, and mud flap. They took all the existing bolts with them also. So I ran by the auto body that did the last fender repair and it seems I am going to be out another $1900 to replace the fender, paint the metal parts that they scratched up etc.
Needless to say, since I had warned the company that the area wasn't safe at night, and they still refused to allow me to park inside the fenced in area, I was ticked off to say the least. They are "investigating" safer parking for our vehicles, but as far as I am concerned, the thieves know where their latest "parts truck" is at and parking it behind the fence won't stop them now. Might slow them down a few seconds to cut the lock, but not stop them.
No offer of any sort of compensation for my loss isn't making things any better. Just how much is a company liable for maintaining a safe haven for the vehicles of drivers who aren't around to watch after their own vehicles? Every company I ever worked for kept personal vehicles locked in during the night.
David from jax

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this... #2  
Sorry about your luck. I would refuse to park where they tell you too or find a new job. I had about the same thing happen to me in 1989, and it sucks. Same thing happened to a buddy last year with a dmax. Thiefs suck, bottom line.

Chris

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this... #3  
I lived in Jacksonville for 22 years, I escaped the murder capitol of Florida in 1998!
I had my home burglarized (during the day while I was at work), attacked by two crack heads in my front yard (fractured cheek bone), tires slashed in a bar parking lot, tools stolen from work, city threating to fine me $250. a day for parking my motor home in my driveway (said it was too close to the sidewalk after having boat or motor home there for 20 years!). And I lived in an above average neighborhood!
The only thing the city cares about is the Jagwads NFL team! Plenty of law enforcement when there is a game.
I'm in St. Johns County now and I LOVE IT!!

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this... #4  
Sorry for your trouble. It is disappointing when company management ignores good suggestions and common sense. We had good management at a power company I worked for in Calgary. Our computer operators worked 12 hour shifts from 07:00 to 19:00 with just one operator on the night shift. The company realised this was a safety issue and the operatorsf(1/2 of them female) had two shared, underground parking stalls. That way, they did not have to walk alone in a fairly tough area at a shift change.

Every so often some company executive would question why such "low" positioned people had underground parking when not all management had it. Our managers always stuck up for the operators.

Then, in 1994 they out-sourced the computer centre to a large computer firm (DEC). A couple of years later the power company took the stalls from the operators since the did not work directly for the power company. It makes no sense they would do that since half of the year the operator was walking in the dark (at 07:00 and 19:00) to a parking spot that was two blocks away.

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this... #5  
sorry about the taking of parts from your truck when i lived there in the 1970's working for goodyear we found out that if a vehicle was parked on goodyear or whatever companies insurance was liable for any damaged vehicles no matter what signs were posted you are liable when i moved back to georgia and ran garages found out same law applies here but you getting through to the upper b's may be tough. and also tell family hello mitch

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this...
Hey Mitch!
Laverne and Nancy just had their 47 anniversary, and we went over to Live Oak for a party for them. Would have been great to see you there!
David from jax

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this... #7  
I think I'd be driving around to see who's dually had my fender on it.. :)

i feel for ya.. they must have taken some time to get that thing off!!

/ I told them it would happen, but never expected it to happen like this...
That was my reason for pitching a fit when they told me I had to park at the warehouse... because my truck would be unprotected for 12 to 15 hours a night with almost nobody coming and going... and nobody hanging around, just getting in a truck and leaving.
There is a 4 door truck same color as mine right around the corner... but never saw it "without a fender or with a damaged fender" so it could be mine... or just coincidence. Probably no way to confirm it now... but the next fender WILL have markings on it, at least on the inside so I can confirm it is mine, if I find it. Another suggestion has been to install the fender with taper-proof bolts, but that might just make them have to steal the whole truck...
David from jax

A good body repairman can get one off in just a few minutes..