Dump trailer to haul tractor?

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
At the end of the week I'm happy to say I'll be pulling the trigger on a JD 3320. The tractor and implements will weigh in around 6000 lbs. I currently have a 7k duel axle trailer (max load capacity is 3700 lbs) that is going to be too light duty so I'm thinking of trading it in. My first thought was a second equipment trailer. I then stumbled upon a dump trailer and fell in love... I can find lots of jobs for this thing. Anyone have any experience with hauling a tractor around in a dump trailer? Is this a good idea? A 16 footer is all I can probably afford.. Thanks for the input!

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #2  
Well, my opinion, for what its worth is if the deck is long enough for your tractor and impliment so you can get the right tongue weight. You have proper tiedowns, whats the difference? In My area i see guys hauling skidsteers in dump trailers all the time. As far as im concerned if your going to be doing loader work why haul twice to the jobsite, fuel prices being the way they are. . . .John

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #3  
I hauled my first 3 tractors in my Texas Bragg Dump 6x14 Dump Trailer. The largerst being my Mitsubishi Mt4201D. I did not have any issues unless the implements were wider than 6'. 16' will be plenty long enough. If you have a FEL, just hang it over the front or back. If you do that however, I recommend building wood side racks, or some type of brace to support the FEL. When I hung mine over the front it bent the pole for my tarp. When I hung them over the back, it rubbed the doors a bit (nothing dysfunctional however). When I bought mine, I had the dealer install 3 D-rings (Front, Midways, and Rear) along the side of the trailer for tie-down points. Sometimes, it can get a little tight trying to reach between the FEL, or tires, and the walls of the trailer. You'll figure out what works for you thoguh. As JPM states, with the dump trailer you can get all of your equipment to the jobsite in one move. But, if you have to haul anything away from the site you will still have to come back and get the tractor once you dump your load. My current tractor is too large to fit in my dump trailer now. So, I am back to making two trips. But, my dump trailer is still serving me well. Oh yeah, I can fit my Jeep inside of the dump trailer too, so it is not for just hauling tractors :) Here's a short video of me loading the MT4201D into my trailer.

Loading Mitsubishi MT4201D into trailer into Texas Bragg Dump Trailer - YouTube

Hawk

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #4  
A couple of things to think about, you will not be able to haul but 1 attachment if your lucky. I have to remove my box blade and put it in the box of the truck. If I load the tractor to the front the loader has to hang over the front to get the right amout of toung weight. If I back on it does good, but the box blade still has to be off the tractor. In my case the tractor is heavy enough to want to lift the back of the truck off the ground if I don't support the back of the trailer. It is also a pain to chain down because of no room in the box of the dump trailer with the tractor in it. So I have to be going a long way to make it worth it for me. Oh I have a 16' 14k dump so it is good sized. CJ

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #5  
Just too add I see you are in Michigan be aware if you hang your FEL over either end of the trailer you have to chain it down or you can get a ticket. Just a FYI. I sold my tripple axle gooseneck trailer just to get away from being a target for the DOT, they seem to leave the tandem axle trailers alone more than the bigger stuff. CJ

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor?
Thanks for the input guys and for the video Hawk. Dump trailer it is! I'll make sure to get some of those D rings for ties down points.

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #7  
Thanks for the input guys and for the video Hawk. Dump trailer it is! I'll make sure to get some of those D rings for ties down points.

Make sure you get the the 3" (big ones!). The dealer initially installed some small rings when I told him that I'd be hauling a tractor. I reckon he thought I mean 'lawn tractor'. He then welded in some rings large enough to run 1/2" chain through. If you hang the bucket over the front, watch for hydraulic leak down of the bucket and arms. Fortunately, the tongue on my trailer is pretty long and I had plenty of clearance behind the tailgate of my pickup. Otherwise, you could quite a bit of damage in a tight turn. Just some things to think about...

Hawk

Thanks Hawk!

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #9  
Greatlakes37
I have some tips on how to set up your dump trailer as well. You can also find some good info by searching the threads. One of the biggest issues with dump trailers is the batteries draining on ya during the dump cycle. I locked up the dump in Fayetteville, NC once when my body got stuck in the up position. I had to pull the 2nd battery out my truck to get it back down. That was the 3rd (and last) time that happened...lol I now have an aux power cable running from the battery on the truck directly to the pump in the trailer. I think there are already a couple of threads on the site that address that. If not, I'll post some pics and instructions on how I set mine up.

Hawk

Hawk,

Your dump box stuck in the up position would make for a bad day! I'll definitely have to learn how to run that AUX cable from my truck to the trailer battery. Some pics would be great. I'd like to see your setup. I can also send you some pics of mine when I get it. Once I get my tractor I'll be to the dealer for the trailer. Probably a few weeks. Thanks.

Paul