Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement.

/ Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement. #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
For those of you following my Starter replacement thread, i thought i would start a new one to not jumble and confuse the original thread.

So my question is do i need to measure the thread exposed on the radius arms after installing the new bushings, to ensure there the same, or will it not matter?

Included are a few pics. The first is the cross-member with the rivits ground off and the radius arm pulled out. Then the broken shock stud that i had to weld a piece of threaded bolt onto so that i could secure the shock back on, as well as the broken upper spring retainer on the pass side. I did not weld anything to retain the sprin in there as the shock controls the droop on the A-arm so that it cant droop far enough to let the spring out of the tower, as well as the radius are controls foward to back movement so its not like the spring can fall out anyway. The plan is to weld something into there, but the original is just a little folded over metal tab that in event of failure would not hold it anyway. 0716121839c.jpg0716121839a.jpg0716121839b.jpg

/ Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement. #2  
No need to measure, just tighten up. Parts stores have new shock studs, in HELP line products.

Dave

/ Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement.
That s what i was really thinking on the radius arms. Shock stud fixed. The guy at the parts store told me i was better to not cut the stud and just bolt it to the radius arm cause folks have them shear off, and i said grade 8 and he said yea. so i wanted to keep the original base.

/ Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement. #4  
If your ranger sees road use much you'll want to at least get your toe-in checked. The bushings are likely not the same thickness as the others and that will impact your toe slightly. Dr Dave is correct on the radius arm end nut though, just tighten to correct torque spec.

Do fords have a toe in alignment? Or am i thinking of camber. if looking from above which
angle is this / \ that would be toe in right, toe out would be \ / ?

Now if looking from the front of the truck at the grill front tires you dont have an adjustment for the vertical angle do you the one that looks like / \?

/ Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement. #6  
Yes of all alignment parameters toe is the one that all vehicles have and it is the angle from above like you said and you have the orientation right as well. Toe in fronts of tires are closer together than rears. Toes is also the most important alignment feature but the easiest to both adjust and measure at home with some accuracy. Bad toe will wear tires quickly.The threaded ends (tie rod ends) on the arms on the steering linkage allows you to adjust toe to each wheel to keep your steering wheel straight. On a RWD or 4WD truck you want a little bit of toe in, specs can be looked up online, usually 1/16" to 1/8" measured at the diameter of the tire.

No you don't have an adjustment for camber, which is like you said angle looking from the front. To adjust it you need a different bushing installed at the top ball joint, a somewhat painful process on an older vehicle sometimes. They make different ones for different angles. This can be used to adjust caster, which is the angle looking from the side that the wheel pivots around when steered.

Thanks. i know how to do toe in just not sure what the names exactly were, and did not feel like googling. My father in law owned a shop and we did a toe in alignment on it before he sold out i remember. i have not checked it in a while but tires seem to be wearing even so i suspect it still is in spec.

A ford 2wd dosent have ball joints, i dont think? They have A arm suspentions. Unless the bushing on the top of the steering knuckle where it attaches to the A arm is what is called ball joint? I gotta go look now?

/ Ranger Update.. Radius arm bushing replacement. #8  
Your ford ranger has no A-arms, its a twin-I beam suspension, 1983-1997, and A-arm suspension 1998-to current. In eithier case they all have upper and lower ball joints.

Your ford ranger has no A-arms, its a twin-I beam suspension, 1983-1997, and A-arm suspension 1998-to current. In eithier case they all have upper and lower ball joints.

I used the wrong term, thanks for catching it. I am picturing I beams in my mind but ssaying A arms like you find on an S10 of that vintage?

Thanks on the ball joint though, i never went and looked?