electric brake controllers?

/ electric brake controllers? #1  

saltbranch

Silver Member
I am in the market for a new brake controller for my 2005 Chevy. Will be pulling trailers with 5200 lb axles and 7k axles. What do you have and do you like it/does it work good?

/ electric brake controllers? #2  
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller. It's not their top of the line but it's a very good controller. It knows not to apply the brakes when your only going a couple of miles an hour, say in stop and go traffic. A real nice feature as without it you'll be turning down the gain and if you forget to reset it once back on the highway and need to stop you could be in real trouble. It's pretty much a plug it in and go controller. I've heard that there are only a few companies that make these controllers and most just buy from the few that do. In the case of Tekonsha they are owned by a company that also owns Reese, Hidden Hitch, Fulton so it's name brand. I would buy another one.

Brake Controllers - Tekonsha

/ electric brake controllers?
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller. It's not their top of the line but it's a very good controller. It knows not to apply the brakes when your only going a couple of miles an hour, say in stop and go traffic. A real nice feature as without it you'll be turning down the gain and if you forget to reset it once back on the highway and need to stop you could be in real trouble. It's pretty much a plug it in and go controller. I've heard that there are only a few companies that make these controllers and most just buy from the few that do. In the case of Tekonsha they are owned by a company that also owns Reese, Hidden Hitch, Fulton so it's name brand. I would buy another one.

Brake Controllers - Tekonsha

Thats the one I was lookin at today and have been researching tonight, have read alot of good reviews on it so far.

/ electric brake controllers? #4  
X2 on the Tekonsha P2. Also, if you aren't already wired and even if you are consider the Tekonsha emulator. It plugs into the 7-wire cannon plug on your truck and illuminates an individual LED for the always hot wire and the other individual LEDs when actuated. It gives you assurance in troubleshooting your truck wiring. I purchased from etrailer.com and particularly liked their tech support both online and email.

Last edited:
   / electric brake controllers? #5  
Prodigy is a good mid grade controller. Top of the line is brake smart.

Chris

/ electric brake controllers? #6  
I have a prodigy in 2005 Chevy works good, not as good as the factory controller in 2008 Chevy.

Installation is simple, purchase the correct year Chevy cable from Prodigy and plug it in under the dash and at the back of the controller. This is assuming you have the factory towing package with the 7 wire plug on the truck.

/ electric brake controllers? #7  
i have a prodigy in my 450 a drawtight in my 350 and my yukon.. and the work truck has a cheapy hoppy.

in truth.. ALL of them work.

the drawtight and hoppy function about the same.. both are sub 100$ controllers. the prodigy is much nicer.. but int he end.. any are better than none.

I'd buy any of them again for regular in state use.... and if hauling heavy or long distance .. the prodigy for sure..

/ electric brake controllers? #8  
MaxBrake™ - Hydraulic over Electric Variable Brake Controller is a very good unit. Yes, it does cost about 3x more, but does safe and cheap have to be interchangeable? I get a laugh out of how alot of these posters say to use nothing but grade 70 chain, only ratchet binders will work, brakes on both axles, bigger tow vehicle, blah blah. Then when it comes to the actual control mechanism, "any old cheap controller will work just fine." :rolleyes:

/ electric brake controllers? #9  
Then when it comes to the actual control mechanism, "any old cheap controller will work just fine." :rolleyes:

however.. in 90% of the issues. it's true.. looking at al the brake controllers out there. if the model is not pendulum or tied to the brake pressure line.. it's timed. the vast majority on the shelf are timed. all of those 'vast majority' work virtually the same.

you have a sensitivity setting..and in some cases onset speed control. many have some sort of fault detection. in the end. most of them just make power for the brakes when you hit the pedal.

in most cases.. that's all ya need.

/ electric brake controllers? #10  
The Max Brake was what I meant when I said Brake Smart. Had a brain fart I guess.

Chris