Spring Over Axle (SOA) trailer conversion

/ Spring Over Axle (SOA) trailer conversion
BTW, the kit is $50, but that's only for one axle, so for a tandem, you're in for about $100. Since the kit comes with new U-bolts and nuts, it's not actually THAT much more expensive than welding on new spring perches. Spring seats are about $8. The U-bolt kit is about $16. So the Dexter SOA conversion kit is twice as expensive as welding on new perches yourself. If you have a welder and know what you're doing, it's no debate. But when you add in the hassle of transporting your axles to a welding shop and the cost of getting the new perches welded on, it's a no-brainer. For a tandem-axle trailer, the added cost of the kit is $50. As far as I could tell, that's basically the job minimum for most welding shops around here, so I basically broke even.

/ Spring Over Axle (SOA) trailer conversion #22  
Thanks for the link.

Dave

/ Spring Over Axle (SOA) trailer conversion #24  
Ok thanks, did you get any pics of the your trailer as it sets now, did you have to change your hitch ball height?

Dave

Ok thanks, did you get any pics of the your trailer as it sets now, did you have to change your hitch ball height?

I took a picture for you today, Dave. Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" picture for you to compare it to, but just imagine it 5" lower ;)

2012-11-16 15.15.53.jpg

I did have to change the hitch ball height, but that was sort of the point. With the ball at its old height, the torsion bars of the WD hitch scraped the ground. I actually had to buy a much longer shank for my WD system in order to get the head low enough to let the trailer ride level. Raising the trailer let me go back to the original shank, which is significantly lighter. You may think I'm just whining, but the difference in weight between a 6" shank and a 13" shank is probably 30 lbs. They're solid 2" steel.

Get rid of theose Scotch Loks while you have it on jack stands?

Scotch Lok question addressed in an earlier comment. Short version: I'm not interested in totally rewiring the trailer right now, which would be what it would take to get rid of the Scotch Loks.

/ Spring Over Axle (SOA) trailer conversion #29  
I am sure it is set up the way you want it now but to me it just looks funny with all that room in the wheel wells. Looks like some of the 3/4 ton trucks that certain brands make and put tiny little tires on.

Chris

I am sure it is set up the way you want it now but to me it just looks funny with all that room in the wheel wells. Looks like some of the 3/4 ton trucks that certain brands make and put tiny little tires on.

The problem is, it is simply unusable with a WD system at the ride height that it was, and I can't go over 3500 lbs on my current truck/hitch without a WD system. I suppose I could have addressed the issue with a class V hitch and no WD system, but there are other benefits to a WD system that I would rather not give up. Also a class V hitch runs about $300, while the SOA conversion was about $100.

If I'm really motivated, maybe some day I'll grind out the tacks holding the fenders on and lower the fenders...