Trailer for telehandler?

/ Trailer for telehandler? #1  

BoFuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota L3400
I have a telehandler that weighs about 26,000 and needs about 23 feet to be transported. I had it delivered with a big rig but was wondering if I could haul it on a smaller trailer. If so, would be required? It must have ramps. And what would be needed to pull such a setup.

image-3756047109.jpg

/ Trailer for telehandler? #2  
IMHO, Depending on what you plan on towing it with will decide what trailer between a gooseneck or tag. I would highly recommend a gooseneck and unless you use a class 7 or 8 truck I would not even consider a tag. I am not too versed on medium duty tow ratings but you are looking at if the telehandler weighs 26k another 10k for the trailer. That is a bunch, my guess is beyond a medium duty. I sold all of my bigger trailers and just pay somebody to haul any of the bigger equipment that I may need, it has been cheaper and no DOT worries. CJ

/ Trailer for telehandler? #3  
You need a truck with a GCRW of at least 50,000lbs.
I'd get a single axle Mack, IH, etc. dump- older with a non electronic diesel and air brakes and a 20 ton tag. That's what I did and I'm happy. With the recession, there's a lot of backhoe and trackhoe pulling rigs out there for as cheap as I've ever seen. There's also the single axle tractors out there with low boys which are even nicer, but no dump truck body
Air brakes make the whole setup work so much better.

/ Trailer for telehandler? #4  
Bo,
Check the GVW on your L8000 and then check around for a tag along trailer that will give you the combined gvw equal to the weight of the truck, trailer, and lift. I have see straight trucks and tag trailers hauling telehandlers running around the valley. Just remember how much total weight you have and take it easy on those forest service roads.

/ Trailer for telehandler? #5  
I have a telehandler that weighs about 26,000 and needs about 23 feet to be transported. I had it delivered with a big rig but was wondering if I could haul it on a smaller trailer. If so, would be required? It must have ramps. And what would be needed to pull such a setup.

View attachment 277739

You will need a CDL in most places to haul that telehandler,,, the trailer will have to have about a GVWR 30K(wgt of trailer + telehandler)...Even then, you might go over the axle ratings of the trailer if you aren't careful with your tongue weight, based on where it sits on the trailer.

/ Trailer for telehandler?
Bo,
Check the GVW on your L8000 and then check around for a tag along trailer that will give you the combined gvw equal to the weight of the truck, trailer, and lift. I have see straight trucks and tag trailers hauling telehandlers running around the valley. Just remember how much total weight you have and take it easy on those forest service roads.

GVW for my F8000 is 27,500, so with the truck weighing 15,000 and the telehandler weighing 26,000, the trailer would have to be minus 13,500 :)

Looks like I'll just be paying someone like Empire to haul it if I want it moved.

Thanks to all.

/ Trailer for telehandler? #7  
Trailers in that (GVW) range pretty much jump from 10t to 20t with nothing in between. I'd say that your truck is ok (it's GCWR that matters more than GVW) but you'd prolly be into an air brake trlr. and a CDL. Unless your truck has air run to the rear, it's usually too expensive to add to an older truck unless it was originally a tractor.

/ Trailer for telehandler?
Trailers in that (GVW) range pretty much jump from 10t to 20t with nothing in between. I'd say that your truck is ok (it's GCWR that matters more than GVW) but you'd prolly be into an air brake trlr. and a CDL. Unless your truck has air run to the rear, it's usually too expensive to add to an older truck unless it was originally a tractor.

My dump truck has air run to the back. It previously pulled a trailer with a backhoe. It is currently registered as a farm vehicle, so could the trailer be done so also. I am currently driving it with no CDL because of the Farm plates. Would it be okay even with the trailer?

/ Trailer for telehandler? #9  
Get the GCWR of your truck first, that will tell you if your truck has the cahonies to even start worrying about a trailer or cdl.

/ Trailer for telehandler? #10  
Bo, I don't even know if you will find a GCWR for you truck. It sounds like you have a HD truck with air brakes so you should be fine with a tag rated at 40K.