2012 Ford F-150 buying advice

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've been reading and reading up on what's available out there in new trucks and think I've come to a decision on what I want. My current 1998 F250 is a regular cab, 8ft bed 4x4 4.6 V8. It's never given me any trouble, but it does have almost 190,000 miles on it and I'm getting nervous that it's time is about up.

I like the idea of the V6 engine, but can only get the EB with the 8ft bed. I've tried and tried to accept the 6 1/2 foot bed, but every time I go to Home Depot or Lowes and see the guys with the little beds try to load up materials, I know its not for me. I remodel houses for a living and need as much room in the bed as I can get. I also want the Supercab to store tool boxes in out of the weather and away from potential theft.

With the 2013 models coming out pretty soon, I've been emailing some of the local dealers on what I want.

2012 FORD F-150 2WD SuperCab 8 Ft Box XLT serving Terrell Mesquite Dallas Kaufman Canton Texas

$25,669 for an XLT seems to be the best price so far. Has anybody done better then this? Can I get them down any more?

Before I buy, am I missing something in the other brands? I'm open to re looking at them, but they have to offer an 8ft bed with the extra cab and decent milage.

This is a work truck that will get me to the job with whatever I need to get the job done. I'm not towing anything and don't want to tow anything. I can get anything delivered for such a small amount that there is no reason to pay for more power in a truck.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #2  
I've been reading and reading up on what's available out there in new trucks and think I've come to a decision on what I want. My current 1998 F250 is a regular cab, 8ft bed 4x4 4.6 V8. It's never given me any trouble, but it does have almost 190,000 miles on it and I'm getting nervous that it's time is about up.

I like the idea of the V6 engine, but can only get the EB with the 8ft bed. I've tried and tried to accept the 6 1/2 foot bed, but every time I go to Home Depot or Lowes and see the guys with the little beds try to load up materials, I know its not for me. I remodel houses for a living and need as much room in the bed as I can get. I also want the Supercab to store tool boxes in out of the weather and away from potential theft.

With the 2013 models coming out pretty soon, I've been emailing some of the local dealers on what I want.

2012 FORD F-150 2WD SuperCab 8 Ft Box XLT serving Terrell Mesquite Dallas Kaufman Canton Texas

$25,669 for an XLT seems to be the best price so far. Has anybody done better then this? Can I get them down any more?

Before I buy, am I missing something in the other brands? I'm open to re looking at them, but they have to offer an 8ft bed with the extra cab and decent milage.

This is a work truck that will get me to the job with whatever I need to get the job done. I'm not towing anything and don't want to tow anything. I can get anything delivered for such a small amount that there is no reason to pay for more power in a truck.

Thank you,
Eddie

I think you will find the 5 liter fits you nicely. One complaint about the base V6, not the eco boost, is it is rather weak. The EB, power wise, might be overkill for what you are doing.

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #3  
I was looking at pickups in December, and also narrowed down to the F-150 with 5.0 V8 and 8-ft bed. I think it's a great combo for a work truck. I was looking at both XL and XLT models. You're smart not to go with a shorter bed.

You won't see the year-end deals until December -- Ford stuffs the channel pretty well with F-150s, and there will still mostly be 2012 models on the lot through January. So I think at this point, look for typical month-end sales, etc.

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #4  
I think you are smart for sticking with the Ford. I am not sure why you can not get a EB in the 8' bed? It seems I have seen them around here. Try going to the site and building the truck you want. The only other truck I would even consider right now other than the F-150 would be the Tundra. They have a really nice package but for a primary tow vehicle the rear frame section concerns me a little. That just me, primarily becuese my trucks have trailers behind them 60% or more of the time.

Chris

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #5  
It seems half tons with 8' beds are a dying breed. I ended up moving up to an F250 to get an 8' bed with an extended cab as it wasn't possible in an F150. I bought used so I was looking for either a 250 or 350, depending on what popped up. 8' beds are rare even in the bigger trucks. It seems everyone uses them for towing and wants the full crew cab, so crew cab short bed is the configuration of probably 75%+ of the trucks I could find (used, again - you take what you can find, to a degree). I'm glad I got the bigger truck as once I got the tractor and needed to tow it, I would have probably been over the limit on a half ton. That was just dumb luck as I never expected to be doing that when I got it...I just wanted an 8' bed...

Have you considered another 3/4 or 1 ton with the gas engine?

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #6  

Thank you,
Eddie
If you're willing to travel to get a deal, you may want to shop online (i.e. cars.com). I bought a new F350 diesel, dually, long bed, super cab with Lariat package for $12,000 off sticker. Sticker was almost 50K and I paid 38K. It was a year end sale. I flew from Oregon to Kansas and drove it back. You may want to shop around and keep your eye open for year end deals. You may be able to find the F150 you want. :)

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice
Thanks for the replies and emails. I like the ride and price of the F150 over the bigger trucks. I don't know if they come with the smaller engine, but that's a plus for me as well. I dont want a diesel or a big block, so the 5.0 V8 seems like the best fit. I like the EB V6, but its more money for about the same performace with a little better milage. Might be funner to drive, but I'm kind of an old man when driving. I don't like to go fast or race around. I seriously thought about the base V6, but it's not available with the 8 ft bed, just the EB and 5.0.

I searched Cars.com and could only find the short beds. That 8 ft bed is kind of rare with the Supercab.

My local dealer said he cant come down any lower on price. They don't have any 8ft beds and would have to buy it from another dealer. He said he would have to pay more for it then they are quoting me for the one I listed. I'm thinking that's a pretty good price and might go look at it this weekend. Kind of depends on the weather and what the hurricane does.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice
Just found out that the two trucks that they have on the lot that I like have 3.31 rear axles. I might test drive one of them, but that's not what I was wanting.

Eddie

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #9  
The six speed auto used in these trucks has a pretty low first gear. I have the same gear ratio in my '11 Expedition and it has plenty of power.

/ 2012 Ford F-150 buying advice #10  
Are you sure you're talking about a real 6.5' "short" bed? Most of the newer super crew trucks have short 5.5' beds, the 6.5' bed on a super crew is rare. I know because I have one. The easiest way to tell is look at the space between the cab and the wheel well. Short beds have hardly any room there at all and the 6.5' bed trucks have about 2 or so feet between the cab and rear wheel well. I actually have a retractable (from factory) step on mine that makes it super easy to reach into the bed.

If you work out of your truck like I do I strongly suggest you look at getting a crew cab, it makes it very handy to store tools and supplies and keep them out of the weather and locked up. I often keep a generator etc. in my crew cab backseat area with the seats folded up. Try to find a real 6.5 ft bed on a crew cab and see how you like it.

Thank you,
Eddie