Trailering Questions

/ Trailering Questions #21  
how so? given an equal geometry trailer.

say I'm heading down the interstate with a load on my bumper, gn, and 5th wheel.

load is too forward onthe bumper pull making front light and squirely.

ont he gn, likely fine / unnoticeable.

how would the 5th wheel improve upon 'fine' ?

just curious... as the mount location is identical.. and thus you have the trailer deck load suspended between rear tires and the samel length hitch point on the tow vehicle ??

Here was a call for a load shift...these guys had NO STRAPS...:eek:

Notice the twist on the GN...:(

If they had this rig they might have at least kept the wheels on the road...:)
http://www.hitchcrafter.com/32ksinglepivotair.htm

208a4f8c4c_8264475_eaa97bed0e.jpg

/ Trailering Questions #22  
hmm.. 2500$ hitch... hmm.. seems 2500$ more in trialer would have been better.

pic is hard to tell any real detail.

almost looks like an axle failure.

in any event.. it really doesn't address any part of my question or post.

that trailer is loaded full.. no real room to 'shift' that load to any substantial degree, other than perhaps to OFFLOAD some of it.

I can't see how a bumper pull would have been better.. :)

and if the trailer is plain out overloaded.. just the swap to a differnet pin up there with 2500$ of goodies on it won't help the fact that the rest of the trailer doesn't look up to the task... then tires look at an odd angle to t he frame and deck..

/ Trailering Questions #23  
And a 5th wheel allows for an even more stable ride with an unbalanced load than a GN...:)
I see you have the smiley-face so maybe just kidding about load balancing. The other posters are usually talking about fore/aft balance, not side to side as in your photo down below. I'd rather have the trailer lean over than have the stresses transferred to the hitch and truck frame and maybe twist something up; a pickup frame is not like a road tractor.

On the fore/aft balancing you may have a little more leeway with a gooseneck. On the other hand, since a GN design usually has a greater proportion of its length in front of the axles than a BP of the same length you have to be careful with load balancing or you can easily overload the axle on a SRW pickup.

/ Trailering Questions #25  
I feel like a newbie. I've pulled trailers most of my life, from 6 x 10 Utility Trailers to 20' equipment trailers to a 33' Travel Trailer. However, they've all been bumper pull. Last year, I bought a Kubota L5740, w/ FEL, and a 7' RC. The overall length of the tractor/RC is about 26' long. Obviously, it won't fit on my 20' trailer. So, here's the quandry. If I want to haul the new tractor, I'm going to need a trailer about 30' long. I'm assuming the better way to go is either with a 5th wheel or GN, not a bumper pull. I know absolutely nothing about these types of trailers. Where do I need to go to learn? Almost all of the larger equipment trailers I see around are GN's. What advantage does a GN have over a 5th wheel?

A little more info about the situation: The tow vehicle is a 2011 F250 4WD, SRW, diesel, with a Leer shell on the bed. I've always used the Leer's to provide a degree of security for treestands and such. It will have to go if a bed hitch is required. The reason for hauling the tractor is to work food plots at hunting land. The land is about 150 miles from home. I currently take a smaller tractor (EX3200) to work the property, but would like to have the flexibility to take the larger tractor. I've even wondered about selling the EX3200 and getting a slightly larger tractor, that would fit on the 20' trailer, just to work at camp.

Any recommendations/thoughts on hauling the 5740 are appreciated.

I haul my L3830 with loader and 6' bushhog (Wood BB72) on a 18' equipment trailer. The mower hangs off the end some but it's no big deal. Works great. You sure the 20' trailer won't work?

GN are nice trailers if you need the width and length... but they are heavy and big... it's all compromise.

/ Trailering Questions #26  
i like backing a 5thwhl or gn way better than bp if it is close quarters.. :)

And you should. The shorter the distance from the swivel point of the hitch to the turning wheels of the two vehicle, the easier the trailer is to "steer" in reverse. This is the most significant reason that semi's can put a 53' trailer in between two objects with only a foot of room on each side.

/ Trailering Questions #27  
my late uncle was a over the road trucker.. he delivered in NYC.. had to back down causeways scrapingf paint on both sides they were so close... that stuff/skill impresses me..

/ Trailering Questions #28  
I feel like a newbie. I've pulled trailers most of my life, from 6 x 10 Utility Trailers to 20' equipment trailers to a 33' Travel Trailer. However, they've all been bumper pull. Last year, I bought a Kubota L5740, w/ FEL, and a 7' RC. The overall length of the tractor/RC is about 26' long. Obviously, it won't fit on my 20' trailer. So, here's the quandry. If I want to haul the new tractor, I'm going to need a trailer about 30' long. I'm assuming the better way to go is either with a 5th wheel or GN, not a bumper pull. I know absolutely nothing about these types of trailers. Where do I need to go to learn? Almost all of the larger equipment trailers I see around are GN's. What advantage does a GN have over a 5th wheel?

A little more info about the situation: The tow vehicle is a 2011 F250 4WD, SRW, diesel, with a Leer shell on the bed. I've always used the Leer's to provide a degree of security for treestands and such. It will have to go if a bed hitch is required. The reason for hauling the tractor is to work food plots at hunting land. The land is about 150 miles from home. I currently take a smaller tractor (EX3200) to work the property, but would like to have the flexibility to take the larger tractor. I've even wondered about selling the EX3200 and getting a slightly larger tractor, that would fit on the 20' trailer, just to work at camp.

Any recommendations/thoughts on hauling the 5740 are appreciated.

Sockwell,

I also have a L5740, and loader, along with a Land Pride 7' cutter. I have a 20' equipment trailer, and just hauled my entire rig a round trip of 290 miles yesterday. I lifted the loader bucket high enough to move the tractor onto the trailer far enough to get the cutter onboard, with the ramps up. This left only the wheel of the cutter hanging off, but a large part of the loader lifted into the air above the F250 I pull it with. I then ran a heavy duty ratchet strap from the loader bucket to the top of the ROPS to prevent any lowering of the bucket. After chaining the tractor and cutter into place on the trailer it all pulled perfectly. It is a bit unusual seeing the bucket of the loader riding above the back of the pickup, but I also move the tractor and cutter from my home to the hunting camp several times a year.

Hope this helps.

/ Trailering Questions #29  
Sockwell,

I also have a L5740, and loader, along with a Land Pride 7' cutter. I have a 20' equipment trailer, and just hauled my entire rig a round trip of 290 miles yesterday. I lifted the loader bucket high enough to move the tractor onto the trailer far enough to get the cutter onboard, with the ramps up. This left only the wheel of the cutter hanging off, but a large part of the loader lifted into the air above the F250 I pull it with. I then ran a heavy duty ratchet strap from the loader bucket to the top of the ROPS to prevent any lowering of the bucket. After chaining the tractor and cutter into place on the trailer it all pulled perfectly. It is a bit unusual seeing the bucket of the loader riding above the back of the pickup, but I also move the tractor and cutter from my home to the hunting camp several times a year.

Hope this helps.

While this may have worked its totally illegal. The law says the loader bucket must be lowered to the deck and secure with a strap or chain appropriately rated. Same with the implement on the 3 point. This is in addition to the tractor being properly secured from all 4 corners.

Chris

/ Trailering Questions #30  
Plus, having the loader bucket up in the air raises your CG. Lower CG is much safer.