Trailering Questions

/ Trailering Questions #1  

Sockwell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HSTC,CC/Y EX3200, 1950 8N
I feel like a newbie. I've pulled trailers most of my life, from 6 x 10 Utility Trailers to 20' equipment trailers to a 33' Travel Trailer. However, they've all been bumper pull. Last year, I bought a Kubota L5740, w/ FEL, and a 7' RC. The overall length of the tractor/RC is about 26' long. Obviously, it won't fit on my 20' trailer. So, here's the quandry. If I want to haul the new tractor, I'm going to need a trailer about 30' long. I'm assuming the better way to go is either with a 5th wheel or GN, not a bumper pull. I know absolutely nothing about these types of trailers. Where do I need to go to learn? Almost all of the larger equipment trailers I see around are GN's. What advantage does a GN have over a 5th wheel?

A little more info about the situation: The tow vehicle is a 2011 F250 4WD, SRW, diesel, with a Leer shell on the bed. I've always used the Leer's to provide a degree of security for treestands and such. It will have to go if a bed hitch is required. The reason for hauling the tractor is to work food plots at hunting land. The land is about 150 miles from home. I currently take a smaller tractor (EX3200) to work the property, but would like to have the flexibility to take the larger tractor. I've even wondered about selling the EX3200 and getting a slightly larger tractor, that would fit on the 20' trailer, just to work at camp.

Any recommendations/thoughts on hauling the 5740 are appreciated.

/ Trailering Questions #2  
For what you need to do take care of it with your smaller tractor. All the time, money, and loss of the bed its not worth it. Hire out the big jobs.

I had a 30' gn. Hated it. Weighed 6,200# empty snd whenever I was using it I seemed to need the bed also. Sold it for a 18' bp and never looked back.

Chris

/ Trailering Questions #3  
There are plenty of people that like GN's just fine. I've never owned one but I know people that have. It seems like all the 5th wheel stuff in my area is the travel trailer stuff, so most of the farm and equipment trailers are GN's. They make bolt in hitches, they almost look like a Reese style hitch but bolt underneath the bed, and you only need a small hole for the ball. The best kind have a ball that can be flipped over so its not sticking up when you use it. B&W is a common one. The advantage of the GN is it pulls more from the middle of the truck so the tend to sway less, you can have more pin weight than with a bumper pull, most trucks are rated to pull more weight with a GN, and for really long trailers, they are easier to back up and turn. Some people may argue with my statements, but thats the way I see it.

/ Trailering Questions #4  
If you ever go to GN you will never want to pull a bumper hitch again, can you tell I love GN trailers. The advantage of GN over 5w is you get to keep your bed free of a hitch. There is even a hitch that all you do is pull a handle under your bed beside the tire and the ball drops down flush with the bed. I got an over size toolbox for my truck That worked with the GN and would hold 4 western saddles, might work with a couple tree stands.

/ Trailering Questions #5  
Maybe another option would be to find a used cutter to leave at the property and haul only the tractor back and forth.

/ Trailering Questions #7  
i'd either get a cheap dedicated tractor and mower for the property.. or leave the large mower over there and just haul the tractor onthe trailer you have... unless you want to loose the topper.

I prefer GN.. you can get a pop up or flip over ball.. easier to mess with than the 5th wheel adapter.. with the gn.. the ball goes down and you have a bed back in 1 minute. the 5th wheel adapter weighs a ton and takes up the bed..

/ Trailering Questions #8  
Is that 26' with your bucket rolled all the way down? I have a Case 485 with FEL and it has a little longer wheeel base than the Kabota. I can haul mine with the bucket rolled all the way down, bumped against the front of my 20' trailer with my 7' shredder and disc legally. you are allowed 4' overhang by DOT. It is also possible to buy 22' and 24' bumper trailers around here, might be worth lookin into? Here are couple of pics, one showing it with the disc on.View attachment 280515
Weight distribution might be an issue, but mine pulls good.Not the best pic to illustrate since I have my forks on the bucket and the bucket is sitting up high, but I can do it with bucket on the trailer floor and be legal...just under the 4' mark overhang.

Last edited:
   / Trailering Questions #9  
Sockwell, this is a cut from the Alabama DOT website for their overhang Regs, looks like in the state of Alabama you are allowed 5' of overhang.

No other vehicle operated on a highway shall carry
any load extending more than a total of five feet beyond both the front and rear, inclusive, of the
vehicle

Link to the webiste, see page 4-14 about 1/2 way down
http://www.dot.state.al.us/maweb/doc/Title32Chapter9.pdf

Good luck on your decision. I am in the crowd of gooseneck lovers, just bought a new 20'er. They pull so much easier and are more forgiving on load distribution over a bumper pull. I like the G/N over 5th wheel due to taking up less bed space, easier to remove ball etc. For the small stuff I like my bumper pull

/ Trailering Questions #10  
The main advantage of a 5th wheel is ease of hitching up. The main advantage of a GN is the articulation is greater than a 5th wheel. (works much better without binding on uneven ground).

As for a GN or 5th wheel its true you can turn the truck sharper to the trailer but as far as making a turn the BP is better. It more closely follows the path of the truck towing it while a GN/5th will turn inside it. Just watch any semi.

Chris