Covering trailer during winter

/ Covering trailer during winter #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I haven't and probably won't get a shelter built for my 18' car hauler this fall. Just purchased the trailer in early summer and had plans to have something in place. Anyone have do's and don't's when covering with tarp? I've thought about building a frame, using the stake pockets to hold the tarp off the bed and to allow air circulation. Thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

/ Covering trailer during winter #2  
I would leave it out in the open, especially if on soil or gravel. The moisture underneath will be trapped by the tarp accelerating any rust, rot, and corrosion.

Getting it in a barn or carport asap is the only thing to extend the life.

Chris

/ Covering trailer during winter #3  
Just wax it. If it has a wooden floor paint it. I would need a much larger Barn if all my stuff lived inside. If you get alittle snow on it becareful loading.

/ Covering trailer during winter #4  
We live in a very wet climate here, I don't know anyone who keeps trailers inside? We use pressure treated wood though.

/ Covering trailer during winter #5  
We live in a very wet climate here, I don't know anyone who keeps trailers inside? We use pressure treated wood though.

I keep all my stuff inside and so do my neighbors but we all have large pole barns. Mine is 52x44 and it stores my 3 trailers, boat, 2 tractors, tools, implements, ect.

Chris

/ Covering trailer during winter #6  
I haven't and probably won't get a shelter built for my 18' car hauler this fall. Just purchased the trailer in early summer and had plans to have something in place. Anyone have do's and don't's when covering with tarp? I've thought about building a frame, using the stake pockets to hold the tarp off the bed and to allow air circulation. Thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

I'm putting up a new, large shed for the "toys", 16x20. The main door will be on a 16' wall, and I'm considering putting up a slanted roof along one of the 20' walls specifically to park the trailer under. It won't be inside, but it would be out of the direct rain and it would keep the snow off of it. It's an 18' with a total length of something like 22', so I would probably wrap the tongue of it with a tarp of some sort to protect the mechanicals and such.

/ Covering trailer during winter #7  
That would be nice but indoor storage costs a lot of money. The hay, hay balers, and some of the hay equipment are the only things always inside here, well that and my wife's car lol. The ATV stays in for theft reasons.

/ Covering trailer during winter #8  
I used to keep my 16' trailer outside. I made a cover to keep the tires out of the sun out of T1 siding and aluminum, bungied inside wheel well so it wouldn't blow away. Also kept a 5 gallon pail bungied on the tongue to cover the hyd coupler, safety chains, and 7 pin cable. Had the bed chained to the ground with nose high, so water would run off the treated bed. After I sandblasted it/repainted it/re-tired it/re-decked it/electric braked it the last time... I keep it inside my 40 by 80 barn.... Use it to store stuff on top of it untill I need it the next time.... Only thing it gets now is dusty...