Trailer advice

/ Trailer advice #1  

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Good afternoon everyone. I did not want to hi-jack Sockwells trailering questions thread so I thought I would start my own. I know there are guys on here with similar needs/uses. I finally got my tractor and ranger crew this year. What I need is a trailer to haul both. I am thinking 30' range. The ranger is almost 12' long, the 4200 JD with 420 loader I am not sure. Just purchased before I headed out to work 3 wks ago, wont be home till next weekend to measure. I want to be able to haul all of it to some family owned deer hunting property 6 hrs away from home.Just some thoughts on deckover, or utility style equipment trailer. Probly will get a gn,but bp would be okay also_Opinions are welcome and personal expierance is appreciated. Also, this will be a kill all the birds with one stone trailer if ya know what I mean. THANKS LUTT

/ Trailer advice #2  
for a long trailer with heavy load.. if i had the capacity to go GN.. i would.

a 25' will haul my ford 'cut' sized machine with backhoe and loader.. also hauls a full length e350 passanger van.. 30 is nice if you can afford the extra feet. a few extra feet of trailer is ALWAYS nice...

/ Trailer advice
Thanks, Soundguy, I am partial to gn's. Use them on the farm.I do know I will stay in the 14000# trailer weight hauling range. I really dont need any more than that. I plan on buying a mini ex and dp 21 komatsy dozer in the future and dont want to buy another trailer for those either. What do you think,deckover or utility/lowboy style?

/ Trailer advice #4  
i hate driving between wheels / tires.. and I don't like drive over fenders.. so i go deckover.. pierced frame can keep it from being so tall.. etc.. that's just me though...

/ Trailer advice
Yeah, that is what i was thinking,seems like stuff is easier to tie down on a deckover.I know it is aggravating to put my trail jeep on my utility trailer for that reason. tires are always trying to climb over the sides. LUTT

/ Trailer advice #7  
It sounds like a 30' wood be right length. I have one that has 2 8k axles and I really like it,but I if I did it over I would put 10k with single 19.5 tires which gets you around 20k of tire and only 4 tires. I don't like flip up ramps.

I have been looking at ones with hydraulic dove tails but they are pricey. Don't settle get what you need/want the first time. Here's pic of my setup

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120929_202629.png
    ForumRunner_20120929_202629.png
    583.4 KB · Views: 308
   / Trailer advice #8  
usually the hyd ramps are not adjustable width...

/ Trailer advice
8 k axles would be a thought for later down the road,flip up ramps dont bother much now,but might when I get older. I think a deck on the neck would be something I would want,toolbox for chains,binders and ratchet straps. More than likely a 12 or 16 k warn winch on it also.I agree that you need to get what you want or need the first time. Trailers are expensive. I want to get it right the first time. That is why I asked on here for opinions. By the way, looking at 3 paticular brands, Rice,Big Tex, or PJ. Rice is 45 min. up the road from me and they do custom builds. THANKS LUTT

/ Trailer advice #10  
deck on the neck is nice. even if it don't come with one.. should be easy to add.. some angle iron and timber