Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down.

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
When pulling my 20' bumper pull equipment trailer with my tractor and mower loaded on it the tongue set's a little low, the trailer pulls good and I can't move the tractor back any farther on the trailer as the mower is right at the ramps now, so I was wondering if I could turn the ball mount over which would set the ball about 3" higher to begin with, has anyone ever done this? or is this a bad idea. Thanks' in advance for any information.

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #2  
When pulling my 20' bumper pull equipment trailer with my tractor and mower loaded on it the tongue set's a little low, the trailer pulls good and I can't move the tractor back any farther on the trailer as the mower is right at the ramps now, so I was wondering if I could turn the ball mount over which would set the ball about 3" higher to begin with, has anyone ever done this? or is this a bad idea. Thanks' in advance for any information.

I've seen that a lot, usually for cars with relatively low-to-the-ground hitch receivers. I believe the ball carriers are designed to be used either way, to drop or raise the ball, with equal ratings.

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #3  
Will not hurt a thing. Standard is for the top of the ball to be 20" from the ground. This is just a standard, not law, so it may vary. The main thing is to make sure your trailer is level when loaded. If not one axle will carry more of the load and cause early tire failure.

Chris

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #4  
Could you measure the loaded trailer on a flat surface front and back? That would tell you how much the ball neeeds to rise to level the trailer.

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #5  
Ball mounts are made to be used either way. Be sure you retourqe the ball to spec.

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down.
Thanks' guys for the input, I'll flip it over and see how it works out. Charlie.

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #7  
make sure the touge is rated for the weight too.. I've seen lots of 5k tounges out there...

/ Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #8  
I agree that most ball mounts are rated to be flipped over, but I actually have a 8" drop shank that I use on our Suburban (stock height) with my weight distribution head to pull our stock trailer and my 16+2 utility trailer. It explicity says on it not to turn it over. I don't like this shank because of the long shank it has a lot of flex in it, but it is the only way to keep the trailers level behind the Suburban because the factory receiver is so high. The 'burb itself doesn't sit any higher, but because the hitch is up in the bumper instead of below like my Silverado, it requires a much longer drop. I put this same hitch on the truck and it is only 2" off the ground and bottoms out really bad.

Here is a link to the shank I purchased for the Suburban: Curt Manufacturing 17124 Adj Hitch Bar 11 In X 8 3/4 In No Rise : Amazon.com : Automotive You can clearly see it say, no rise.

Last edited:
   / Reese hitch trailer ball mount flipped upside down. #9  
The proper hitch mounting is to measure the distance from the ground to the frame above the suspension, that will give you the best measurement to get the trailer level while towing. Then use the mounting to get the closest one you have, then you need to decide if you need to purchase a different tongue, or if the ones you have will work. Using it above the hitch is not a problem.