Binders - Which Kind?

/ Binders - Which Kind? #41  
TSC is very expensive on a lot of stuff. I got my binders on line from the chain on fork folks. TSC was 200% more for the same.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #42  
I don't want to start a new thread for discussion, so I'll ask my question here as it has to do with binding down a load. I just bought a new Kubota B3300 and a new 16 ft flatbed to haul it. The total weight of the tractor with LA504 loader, Landpride RTR1258 tiller and 610 lbs of beet juice in rear tires is 3917 lbs. I am now looking at tie-down equipment. I have read all the posts here and have decided that ratchets are my choice, with 3/8's solid link chain. Is the chain size over-kill? My tractor is spanking new and I don't want to bark the paint with chain, so does anyone have a suggestion on a rub-guard where the chain wraps around the axle? I was thinking of getting some old 2" firehose from local station, cutting and slipping it over chain, or do they make something I can buy?

/ Binders - Which Kind? #43  
I would install hooks in places on your tractor where you can hook the chains without scratching the paint. For example on my m Jinma it came with two 3/8" grab hooks welded on the rear of the tractor about 4" on each side of the PTO shaft. This was done at the factory. There was nothing on the front so I took off a bracket that was bolted on and I drilled two holes and installed two large forged lifting rings. On my other tractor I simply got some chain, about 4 links for each and a grab hook for each and put them on the tractor using factory bolts by simply buying longer bolts. They just hang below the tractor a few inches when not in use.

As for chain its tough to beat the 5/16" gold colored chain at Lowes. It comes in 20' lengths so I bough two for about $60 then had Lowes cut it in half and I bought 4 more matching hooks so I ended up with 4 10' sections of chain.

Chris

/ Binders - Which Kind? #44  
Tarpstop.com. They have a choice on some of thier things between chinese and made in the states. They are cheaper on US chain and US assembled binders than AW Direct or TSC. I prefer the short link binder chain. I believe they sell LeClede. The Campbell from Lowes is long link. I do not believe it is stamped either, but I could be wrong.

I have both over-center binders and ratcheting ones. I use the ratcheting binders for smaller tractors... under 2 ton, and use the over center for heavier ones, or general cargo loads, eg, steel or lumber. They both have thier place. I also use nylon axle straps. Mine are 4" doubled and are rated for 12,000 WORKING load lomit. They are sleeved and do not gouge the axles or front ends.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #45  
Stick to American made binders and chain. They are out there just gotta branch out from Lowes and TSC.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #46  
The working load limit of chain depends very much on the rating of the chain. Unmarked 3/8" chain has a WLL of 2650# whereas 3/8" grade 70 transport chain is rated at 6600#.

With two chains in the rear, even 2650# rating would be sufficient but I would probably go with 5/16" G70 chain.

Minimum Working Load Limit for Cargo Securement Devices and Systems
The aggregate working load limit of any securement system used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of: One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an attachment point on an article of cargo; and The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over or around the cargo and then attaches to another anchor point on the vehicle.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

/ Binders - Which Kind? #47  
Stick to American made binders and chain. They are out there just gotta branch out from Lowes and TSC.

Not sure what you are talking about? I got my chains at Lowes and they are Campbell which are made in the US. That really does not matter to me to much but its a nice feature when its equally priced. My binders I got from HF and they are just fine.

Fact is you cant get all US made stuff anymore so why search high and low for it. Its just the way things are thanks to the unions, tax structure, and other factors.

Back on to the subject at hand. 5/16" chain is plenty for your rig.

Chris

/ Binders - Which Kind? #48  
Not sure what you are talking about? I got my chains at Lowes and they are Campbell which are made in the US. That really does not matter to me to much but its a nice feature when its equally priced. My binders I got from HF and they are just fine.

Fact is you cant get all US made stuff anymore so why search high and low for it. Its just the way things are thanks to the unions, tax structure, and other factors.

Back on to the subject at hand. 5/16" chain is plenty for your rig.

Chris

Glad they carry US made binders at your Lowes. :thumbsup:

I find US made stuff just fine. And usually at reasonable prices. Just have to look around and shop where pros do.

I'm glad there's some of us out there that still believe in made in the USA. :cool: Sounds like you have thrown in the towel. :(

/ Binders - Which Kind? #49  
TSC is very expensive on a lot of stuff. I got my binders on line from the chain on fork folks. TSC was 200% more for the same.

:thumbsup:

/ Binders - Which Kind? #50  
I have the 5/16" chains from HD and a 3/8" from Lowes (the Cambell brand is made in the USA, but the hooks & package from China!), but need to upgrade to an approved DOT chain. I also have 2 new ratchet style binders, that I bought from a truck supplier at $60/ea. Made in China. I can't seem to locate the US made binders.

Do binders have to have DOT stampings/tags like chains do?

Also, my skidsteer (5200 lbs) only has two tie-down points on the chassis. They are located at the center of the main body on the front and rear. When I moved it home, I ran the chains through them and bound them down, pulling to the front and rear of the trailer, like a V on either end. I also bound the buckets with straps. From my understanding of the regs, this is OK for loads less than 10,000 lbs. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'd rather use four chains and four seperate tie-down points on the machine. But that will require me to attach hooks on it I think. Maybe the bolt-on D rings would work.