Binders - Which Kind?

/ Binders - Which Kind? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I have a 16 foot trailer and from time to time I put my jeep or my tractor on it. Currently I use rachet straps on all 4 corners - something like 14400 pounds per strap if I remember correctly...but a while back I learned a lesson and had one of the straps rub on a bush hog and almosty went through during a tow.

Anyway - Want to upgrade to binders and chain. which is best ....ratchet or regular binders....I see Harbor freight has some of both...any good?

/ Binders - Which Kind? #2  
After using ratchet binders, I'd never use the toggle type again.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #3  
I like those HF ratchet ones too. So easy to suck it up a bit more after the load settles a bit and you don't have to safety wire the handle.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #4  
I have both the ratchet and threaded binders. The chain ones are deffinatelly more hastle

/ Binders - Which Kind? #5  
I like /use ratchet binders

/ Binders - Which Kind? #6  
I got the 9200 # rating rachet ones that Harbor freight has and they worked really well for tightening up my chains. The price was just a few bucks more for the heavy duty ones compared to the 5200# ones so I thought better larger than smaller. I use 3/8" grade 70 chains so I wanted a 2X safety margin for the binders.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #7  
Durabilt ratcheting binders used for several years. Go to Truckntow.com or awdirect.com for lots of good information.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #8  
I prefer the boomer type but I am sure the ratchet ones are really good also. I just never really used them and the few times I did it seem to take three times as long to load and chain down. I have the Harbor Freight ones and they have worked really well for 15 years now.

As for chains its tough to beat Lowes. They have 20' 5/16" trucker chains for right around $25. What I did was buy two and cut them in half. You can then get 4 more hooks and have them set up for mid chain binding or do as I do many times and put the boomer directly on the trailer and boom the chain tight. The hook end goes on the tractor or whatever you are hauling.

Chris

/ Binders - Which Kind? #9  
I use both the breakover and ratchet type binders. Some of the breakover binders I use are at least 40 years old, high quality steel made by Crosby Lebus in Longview, Texas. The ratchet binders I use are also made by Crosby Lebus. Not cheap by any means but definately will hold a load. I tie down one end with the breakover binders and use the ratchet on the other end. Four binders and four chains, crisscrossed.

/ Binders - Which Kind? #10  
Durabilt ratcheting binders used for several years. Go to Truckntow.com or awdirect.com for lots of good information.
Big 10-4 on AW Direct- And Scotty Dive-not sure where you are in CT but AW has a big warehouse right off the Berlin Turnpike-check their website. Got my ratchets and chains there- they have USA stuff too!

And wouldn't have any binder other than ratchets-makes tightening up so much easier and you don't have to worry about a pipe slipping off and taking your teeth out!