Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 2020D

Default Binders - Which Kind?

I have a 16 foot trailer and from time to time I put my jeep or my tractor on it. Currently I use rachet straps on all 4 corners - something like 14400 pounds per strap if I remember correctly...but a while back I learned a lesson and had one of the straps rub on a bush hog and almosty went through during a tow.

Anyway - Want to upgrade to binders and chain. which is best ....ratchet or regular binders....I see Harbor freight has some of both...any good?
    Thanks,

Scotty Dive
    Yanmar YM2020D "Git er Done Too"
    Pictures! http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=dfc00199.pbw
    Yanmar Tractor Database - Click Link, then click file and download the excel file.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR...it?usp=sharing

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Default Re: Binders - Which Kind?

After using ratchet binders, I'd never use the toggle type again.

Tractor
    NH TC29DA Bolens G14 Skytrac 5028 Dodge Cummins Jeep Rubicon Grizzly 700

I like those HF ratchet ones too. So easy to suck it up a bit more after the load settles a bit and you don't have to safety wire the handle.
    John

I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

I have both the ratchet and threaded binders. The chain ones are deffinatelly more hastle

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

I like /use ratchet binders
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I got the 9200 # rating rachet ones that Harbor freight has and they worked really well for tightening up my chains. The price was just a few bucks more for the heavy duty ones compared to the 5200# ones so I thought better larger than smaller. I use 3/8" grade 70 chains so I wanted a 2X safety margin for the binders.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2005 Kioti DK45, Rhino FEL

Durabilt ratcheting binders used for several years. Go to Truckntow.com or awdirect.com for lots of good information.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I prefer the boomer type but I am sure the ratchet ones are really good also. I just never really used them and the few times I did it seem to take three times as long to load and chain down. I have the Harbor Freight ones and they have worked really well for 15 years now.

As for chains its tough to beat Lowes. They have 20' 5/16" trucker chains for right around $25. What I did was buy two and cut them in half. You can then get 4 more hooks and have them set up for mid chain binding or do as I do many times and put the boomer directly on the trailer and boom the chain tight. The hook end goes on the tractor or whatever you are hauling.

Chris

Tractor
    JD 6400

I use both the breakover and ratchet type binders. Some of the breakover binders I use are at least 40 years old, high quality steel made by Crosby Lebus in Longview, Texas. The ratchet binders I use are also made by Crosby Lebus. Not cheap by any means but definately will hold a load. I tie down one end with the breakover binders and use the ratchet on the other end. Four binders and four chains, crisscrossed.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, John Deere 855D 4x4 Diesel Gator

Tractor
    Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X

Quote Originally Posted by Quickster2 View Post
    Durabilt ratcheting binders used for several years. Go to Truckntow.com or awdirect.com for lots of good information.
    Big 10-4 on AW Direct- And Scotty Dive-not sure where you are in CT but AW has a big warehouse right off the Berlin Turnpike-check their website. Got my ratchets and chains there- they have USA stuff too!

And wouldn't have any binder other than ratchets-makes tightening up so much easier and you don't have to worry about a pipe slipping off and taking your teeth out!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast