How to load 3 pickups and not enough trailer....

/ How to load 3 pickups and not enough trailer.... #21  
Since I first saw those pictures a year or so ago I have been wondering the same thing. Perhaps using a tractor-trailer loading dock, they just drove the car off the dock and into the bed of the pickup truck. But the car is a front wheel drive, so you'd have to think that once the front wheels clear the dock getting it far enough forward in the pickup bed would be very difficult.

This is clearly one of life's biggest mysteries... :)

Another is how and why someone thought that this was a good idea. :laughing:

Wrooster

The pickup is a half ton and the car weighs at least 3,000 pounds. I really feel you should try to submit a testimonial to GM that their product, a truck with a half-ton rating even clapped-out can carry 3X that much. With pictures to back it up you may make some serious bucks....:laughing:

/ How to load 3 pickups and not enough trailer.... #22  
The pickup is a half ton and the car weighs at least 3,000 pounds. I really feel you should try to submit a testimonial to GM that their product, a truck with a half-ton rating even clapped-out can carry 3X that much. With pictures to back it up you may make some serious bucks....

A construction job I worked long ago (1978) I and two other apprentices had the job of cleaning up all the scrap cast iron pipe. We had on the job an old Chevy C10 pick up. We got permission to use it to haul all the scrap to a junk yard about 10 blocks away in the city where they would weigh us and unload the truck using a electro-magnet on a crane, then weighed us going out to get the weight of the load. Our first trip we had 2300 and some pounds, the rear bumper was near dragging and the springs were bottomed out. Each trip cost us a six pack to get the crane operator to unload us, otherwise we would be doing it by hand. Took us a few weeks of working Saturdays but we ended up sending almost 14T to the scrap heap for which we got $3/hundred and split 3 ways (minus the cost of beer for the crane operator). So I would say its not a recommended practice for sure and I would never do it today but you can load them beyond their stated capacity if you are young and dumb as we were. I don't think I would have tried loading a car in the back of a P/U and running down the road even 30 years ago. We were taking all the back streets and going under 20 MPH the whole way, so overloaded for sure but not as reckless as this guy with the car on the back.

/ How to load 3 pickups and not enough trailer.... #23  
A construction job I worked long ago (1978) I and two other apprentices had the job of cleaning up all the scrap cast iron pipe. We had on the job an old Chevy C10 pick up. We got permission to use it to haul all the scrap to a junk yard about 10 blocks away in the city where they would weigh us and unload the truck using a electro-magnet on a crane, then weighed us going out to get the weight of the load. Our first trip we had 2300 and some pounds, the rear bumper was near dragging and the springs were bottomed out. Each trip cost us a six pack to get the crane operator to unload us, otherwise we would be doing it by hand. Took us a few weeks of working Saturdays but we ended up sending almost 14T to the scrap heap for which we got $3/hundred and split 3 ways (minus the cost of beer for the crane operator). So I would say its not a recommended practice for sure and I would never do it today but you can load them beyond their stated capacity if you are young and dumb as we were. I don't think I would have tried loading a car in the back of a P/U and running down the road even 30 years ago. We were taking all the back streets and going under 20 MPH the whole way, so overloaded for sure but not as reckless as this guy with the car on the back.
I had a 1980 model Chevy that got crunched by a wrecker driver. I took the cash and bought a 66 Corvette. Later bought an old wore out, rusted out camper special to get the frame out of. Sold enough parts to buy new sheetmetal, so I had a paid for car and a truck. Friend had a Dodge 1/2 ton and we loaded them both for the scrapyard. He weighed in first at 1460 pounds, and I followed with my Chevy and picked up the cash. When he started counting the cash, he said... They must have made a mistake, cause they gave you way too much money. I showed him my weigh ticket of 3200 pounds, plus a 5 gallon bucket of clean red brass that was all on my truck, and I wasn't loaded nearly as heavy as him by the way the bumpers were dragging on his Dodge. The Chevy still proudly displayed the 1/2 ton emblems on the fenders, but closer inspection showed that I had left the rear springs off the camper special (all 13 springs) because they were longer than my springs and I didn't want to have to redrill the spring hangers to make mine fit. Ran great with the gas efficient half ton running gear but definitely would haul a long with those springs.
David from jax

/ How to load 3 pickups and not enough trailer.... #24  
I think you guys got it all wrong. The guys are clearly taking the Chevy to the dump and will drive that good Ford home.

Chris