Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Re: Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice

"70% of service advisors know nothing about cars...." So why are they even in the job in the first place??!!! Back when I drove medium duty trucks for a living the shop we took them to had a service advisor who was the most mechanically challenged guy I ever met in my life. If you told him the PTO on your truck didn't engage...."Huh, what's a PTO....?" If you told him the ether injection (used for cold starts on a diesel) needed a new cartridge...."Huh, isn't ether used for surgical operations...." I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP....the drivers usually came out of an encounter with this fellow wondering why he was in the job in the first place. And the capper was:

One day the man signed out a fleet car to go pick up parts, about 20 miles distant from the shop the oil pressure warning light started flickering so he pulled into a service station and called his boss, the boss told him to add a quart of oil to see if the light would go off, well from the way the story went the man kept adding quart after quart of oil to the engine trying to get the light to stop flickering and the oil began overflowing out of the filler cap hole before he finally stopped adding more...and the real reason for the flickering light was a defective sending unit. We ragged him a LONG time afterwards following that episode....
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    "70% of service advisors know nothing about cars...." So why are they even in the job in the first place??!!! Back when I drove medium duty trucks for a living the shop we took them to had a service advisor who was the most mechanically challenged guy I ever met in my life. If you told him the PTO on your truck didn't engage...."Huh, what's a PTO....?" If you told him the ether injection (used for cold starts on a diesel) needed a new cartridge...."Huh, isn't ether used for surgical operations...." I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP....the drivers usually came out of an encounter with this fellow wondering why he was in the job in the first place. And the capper was:

One day the man signed out a fleet car to go pick up parts, about 20 miles distant from the shop the oil pressure warning light started flickering so he pulled into a service station and called his boss, the boss told him to add a quart of oil to see if the light would go off, well from the way the story went the man kept adding quart after quart of oil to the engine trying to get the light to stop flickering and the oil began overflowing out of the filler cap hole before he finally stopped adding more...and the real reason for the flickering light was a defective sending unit. We ragged him a LONG time afterwards following that episode....
    Just the way it is...If they were techs they could make more money in the shop...I saw it first hand....Let the system play out.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    Just the way it is...If they were techs they could make more money in the shop...I saw it first hand....Let the system play out.

I agree. 95% of the job description is Sales Man, not tech. They usually just know what is told to them by the guy with dirty hands.

Chris

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I usually have good service and warranty work from Walmarts here in the states but this one was a PIA. First off, it was in a town that is at the end of the road in Northern Alberta Canada and 500 miles back to Edmonton which is the closest town with anything other than a gas station and only one of those between Edm. and Ft. Mac. The businesses there did pretty much whatever they wanted because they knew you werent going to go somewhere else, well maybe Canadian Tire was a competitor. I sure hope you get the car fixed, but I wouldnt wait too long to take it in for them to look at it.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Bronze Member deerehunter/operator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    I agree. 95% of the job description is Sales Man, not tech. They usually just know what is told to them by the guy with dirty hands.

Chris
    We must be running our shop unlike others because at the end of the day my hands are often times just as dirty.

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    Wife uses the car to commute to work and because it is a headache to deal with the parking police where she works we have decided against her using another car and will wait until her day off in the next week to take the car in. I did contact the service dept. and their response was: "Oh, no we never make mistakes like that it must be something unrelated". Yeah, right. BTW Gary Fowler, I too had a warranty issue with a Walmart battery three years ago and they bent over backwards to be fair, I was past the free replacement period by a few months and they told me the replacement battery (a big one) was on the house although they could have pro-rated it at my cost.
    Depending on where you live, you may have the choice to bring the car to a different dealer.

I remember about 15 years ago, I had a Ford Taurus, which had a huge laundry list of defects that the original dealer kept trying to make my fault. One day, in desperation, I took it to a different dealer, and it was like night and day. The new dealer went out of his way to make sure repairs were covered by the warranty. When the first Taurus wore out, I bought another one from the second dealer.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Car is long out of warranty, and anyway there are very few GM dealerships close by except for the one I am talking about. All othrers are 20, 25, 35 miles distant.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

heck.. u r already in Michigan, drive that GM back to Detroit, pull it up on the front steps of GM headquarters and tell them to fix it...
    Kubota L4400 GST

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456