Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice
"70% of service advisors know nothing about cars...." So why are they even in the job in the first place??!!! Back when I drove medium duty trucks for a living the shop we took them to had a service advisor who was the most mechanically challenged guy I ever met in my life. If you told him the PTO on your truck didn't engage...."Huh, what's a PTO....?" If you told him the ether injection (used for cold starts on a diesel) needed a new cartridge...."Huh, isn't ether used for surgical operations...." :laughing: I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP....the drivers usually came out of an encounter with this fellow wondering why he was in the job in the first place. And the capper was:

One day the man signed out a fleet car to go pick up parts, about 20 miles distant from the shop the oil pressure warning light started flickering so he pulled into a service station and called his boss, the boss told him to add a quart of oil to see if the light would go off, well from the way the story went the man kept adding quart after quart of oil to the engine trying to get the light to stop flickering and the oil began overflowing out of the filler cap hole before he finally stopped adding more...and the real reason for the flickering light was a defective sending unit. We ragged him a LONG time afterwards following that episode....:laughing:

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice #52  
"70% of service advisors know nothing about cars...." So why are they even in the job in the first place??!!! Back when I drove medium duty trucks for a living the shop we took them to had a service advisor who was the most mechanically challenged guy I ever met in my life. If you told him the PTO on your truck didn't engage...."Huh, what's a PTO....?" If you told him the ether injection (used for cold starts on a diesel) needed a new cartridge...."Huh, isn't ether used for surgical operations...." :laughing: I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP....the drivers usually came out of an encounter with this fellow wondering why he was in the job in the first place. And the capper was:

One day the man signed out a fleet car to go pick up parts, about 20 miles distant from the shop the oil pressure warning light started flickering so he pulled into a service station and called his boss, the boss told him to add a quart of oil to see if the light would go off, well from the way the story went the man kept adding quart after quart of oil to the engine trying to get the light to stop flickering and the oil began overflowing out of the filler cap hole before he finally stopped adding more...and the real reason for the flickering light was a defective sending unit. We ragged him a LONG time afterwards following that episode....:laughing:

Just the way it is...If they were techs they could make more money in the shop...I saw it first hand....Let the system play out.

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice #53  
Just the way it is...If they were techs they could make more money in the shop...I saw it first hand....Let the system play out.

I agree. 95% of the job description is Sales Man, not tech. They usually just know what is told to them by the guy with dirty hands.

Chris

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice #54  
I usually have good service and warranty work from Walmarts here in the states but this one was a PIA. First off, it was in a town that is at the end of the road in Northern Alberta Canada and 500 miles back to Edmonton which is the closest town with anything other than a gas station and only one of those between Edm. and Ft. Mac. The businesses there did pretty much whatever they wanted because they knew you werent going to go somewhere else, well maybe Canadian Tire was a competitor. I sure hope you get the car fixed, but I wouldnt wait too long to take it in for them to look at it.

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice #55  
I agree. 95% of the job description is Sales Man, not tech. They usually just know what is told to them by the guy with dirty hands.

Chris

We must be running our shop unlike others because at the end of the day my hands are often times just as dirty.

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice #56  
Wife uses the car to commute to work and because it is a headache to deal with the parking police where she works we have decided against her using another car and will wait until her day off in the next week to take the car in. I did contact the service dept. and their response was: "Oh, no we never make mistakes like that it must be something unrelated". Yeah, right. BTW Gary Fowler, I too had a warranty issue with a Walmart battery three years ago and they bent over backwards to be fair, I was past the free replacement period by a few months and they told me the replacement battery (a big one) was on the house although they could have pro-rated it at my cost.

Depending on where you live, you may have the choice to bring the car to a different dealer.

I remember about 15 years ago, I had a Ford Taurus, which had a huge laundry list of defects that the original dealer kept trying to make my fault. One day, in desperation, I took it to a different dealer, and it was like night and day. The new dealer went out of his way to make sure repairs were covered by the warranty. When the first Taurus wore out, I bought another one from the second dealer.

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice
Car is long out of warranty, and anyway there are very few GM dealerships close by except for the one I am talking about. All othrers are 20, 25, 35 miles distant.

/ Dealing with Mr. Monkeywrench--need advice #58  
heck.. u r already in Michigan, drive that GM back to Detroit, pull it up on the front steps of GM headquarters and tell them to fix it...