How to winterize deckover trailers

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #1  

ahlkey

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 AgroPlus 87
Unfortunately, my only option for winter storage of my larger equipment trailers has been outside in the weather. Two are long GN trailers rated at 24K & 26K and the others are bumper pull trailers at 10K & 12K ratings. It would not be uncommon for the trailer to sit for a couple of months during the winter season. I really do not do much to prepare them for winter storage outside other than slant the front so the snow runs off them. Should I put some jack stands under the axles to get the tires off the ground in order to prevent any flat spots from developing as well as to prevent any possible side wall cracks? If left on the ground would putting the trailer tires under some landscape blocks be better than just leaving them sit on the ground. I do weather coating so that helps to keep the rust under control. How about the brakeaway battery? With the larger trailers they weigh over 7,500 lbs and are tandem dual axles which probably doesn't matter but jacking them up and down as needed in the winter cold with frozen ground sounds like a pain to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #2  
I never put empty trailers on stands, just campers, boats, and loaded trailers. Getting the tires out of soil will help and a solar charger is a great way to maintain the battery.

Chris

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #3  
Heck, my trailer sat the past 2 winters with my tractor on it in storage (including loader/graqpple on it along with the logging winch on the 3pt), and no flat spots. I wouldn't worry about the trailer weight alone doing that, unless the tires are really crappy...

Chris - you think just plastic or plywood under the tires may help any? This year mine will be stored outside as my old storage place fell through. It was nice but the owner was a bit of a whack job. At least the tractor won't be on it this time as that will be indoors.

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #4  
Chris - you think just plastic or plywood under the tires may help any? This year mine will be stored outside as my old storage place fell through. It was nice but the owner was a bit of a whack job. At least the tractor won't be on it this time as that will be indoors.

Wood and plastic are worse than nothing in my opinion. The seem to hold moisture. Just place a piece of wood on the ground for a month with a brick sitting on it. Remove the brick and you will see a wet spot. If it were me I would put pavers or 4" of gravel under it.

Chris

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #5  
My trailer only gets used once or twice in the winter. I prep it by parking it in the least deep snow bank in the yard, and tucking the electrical plug under cover so it doesn't fill with water/ice. Once in a while we oil the deck boards, as it seems to help our hay wagons.

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #6  
i paint all my wood deck trailers with black aspahlt fence paint.. top and bottom.. and when I change boards I do it liberally as well to the boards before install. a 5g bucket is cheap and you can put it on heavy. add that to pt wood and you have some long lasting decking.

On my trailers. i try to move them now and then. keeps the bearings lubed.. and don't kill grass in 1 spot. puts a lil charge onthe bats. I use a rubber band and ziplock baggie on plug end.. and grease the fittings / terminal ends..

/ How to winterize deckover trailers #7  
i always park it on some concrete blocks buried with the top at gound level so they can be left in ground and mow over the top of them. try to park on them all year so there are no tire dips in the yard from the tires sinking in.