Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Im planning to purchase a 32 Ft trailer (27 plus dove tail) duel tandem trialer. Some have recommended a low profile (pierced beam) trailer. I felt a low pro trailer would help prevent dragging of things like pull shredders etc when loading and unloading. Some have suggested low pro trailers are more prone to drag the bumper in pastures and uneven terrain. The low pro trailers are about $500 higher.

What is your opinion of the performance of low proflie (pierced beam) vs standard flat deck trailers.

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #2  
I have had both in a 40' flatbed form, no dovetail. I would spend the extra for the pierced beam. What is the height difference at the back of the trailer on both? seems to me they both would be about the same. I am guessing that the pierced beam would just have a shorter dovetail. A pierced beam just lowers the deck height, frame clearances to ground should be the same.

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #3  
i'd also spend the extra on the pierced frame. I have a dovetail on my flatbed and even being low.. when you are laoding a narrow machine.. it feels funny.. not clown funny.. but like but clinching funny.. :)

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #4  
One other thing to think about on the pierced beam is if you haul over width loads. The pierced beam will be lower than majority of highway guardrails, so you have to keep that in mind. If you have a cattle guard entrance it might be tight if hauling rounds bales 2 wide. Mine was used mainly commercial hauling and hauled up to 14' wide, plus hay for ranch. My cattleguard entrance was tight with the pierced beam hauling hay vs. a standard height trailer. Just something else to think about.

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #5  
OK, I'm in the dark here. :confused3:
But I'm assuming by "pierced beam" you are talking about a trailer that has the cross-members running through the webbing of the I-beam instead of welded on top. Right?
If so, then you're saying that this type of construction cost about $500 more than conventional? So, you're considering paying five bills more for a trailer that gives you a 4" lower deck height?

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #6  
Bigfoot62 said:
So, you're considering paying five bills more for a trailer that gives you a 4" lower deck height?

But what's $500 more when your spending that kind of money on something you need?

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #7  
OK, I'm in the dark here. :confused3:
But I'm assuming by "pierced beam" you are talking about a trailer that has the cross-members running through the webbing of the I-beam instead of welded on top. Right?
If so, then you're saying that this type of construction cost about $500 more than conventional? So, you're considering paying five bills more for a trailer that gives you a 4" lower deck height?
You are correct and you would be impressed with what 4" can do, well actually about 6" cuz the 2 i-beam frames actually are part of the floor :)
Pharmvet if you are still shopping trailers shoot me a PM. I just bought a new 20' G/N, 102" wide in front/rear of fenders with 3" tie-down rail, drive over 10" channel fenders, 7k axles brakes both axles etc, cross members on 16" center for 3800.00 out the door. had them weld in tubes to run the wiring also. I am not a fan of the wiring as they did not use a sealed wiring harness. But here in S. Tx same trailer was right 5k. They are south east of Dallas and the MFG. no middleman to deal with.

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #8  
4-6" is a pretty big difference sometimes.. :)

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #9  
But what's $500 more when your spending that kind of money on something you need?

You are correct and you would be impressed with what 4" can do, well actually about 6" cuz the 2 i-beam frames actually are part of the floor :) . . .

Need? Or, just want? :D

4" or 6" really doesn't bother me. I understand a lower center of gravity would theorectically be better, but I'm not convinced that a few inches would matter that much.

I guess that "you don't miss what you never had" holds true on this one. I've always had "normal" trailers, so I wouldn't know. ;)

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #10  
another difference is load angle at the ramp...