Coupler won't release ball!

/ Coupler won't release ball! #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
What I thought would be a quick trailer drop at my father's place turned into a long ordeal...

My trailer is about 6 months old and I've never had a problem like this before. I backed it up, moved it forward. Even had my wife jump on the rear bumper. I ended up bringing the trailer home and am getting ready to go out now and spend some time on it. Can you guys offer any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Also, whats the cat's meow for a hitch? I was thinking about getting one of those eye assembly's and a pintle hitch but don't know anything about them.

Thanks!

/ Coupler won't release ball! #2  
ball/pintle is all I really use because my trailers are heavy, but it's noisy. Clunk-clunk's a lot

/ Coupler won't release ball! #3  
Happens to me all the time. I just pull the ball mount out of the hitch and whack it with a hammer if needed.

/ Coupler won't release ball! #4  
I tow almost everyday, 5 or so out of 7, and I have never had this happen. Sometimes there is a tension nut that needs adjusting.

Chris

/ Coupler won't release ball! #6  
And you are sure it's not just on uneven ground and in a bind?

/ Coupler won't release ball! #7  
It depends on the kind of coupler you have on your trailer...I had it happen to me once...and it was silly really...on my trailer the coupler goes down on the ball and then there is a collar at the front of the trailer coupler that you push down and then the tab on top of the trailer coupler ...then you put your bolt through the 2 holes to keep it locked...

If you have this type of coupler ...are you just taking out the bolt and lifting the tab...? If so that is your problem...you do that but also you have to lift up that collar that went down in front of the coupler....

I hope this is clear...hard to describe without pictures....If you have the other standard coupler with just a tab on top of the ball and the bolt ...then it is a matter of being sure you are on level ground and not putting stress on the coupling , it should come apart...If not then try a jack under the trailer tongue...be sure the bolt is out and tab is up..Good Luck.

/ Coupler won't release ball! #8  
Happens to me all the time. I will usually place the truck in reverse to let it inch back & put it in park again. I'll then jump on on top of the hitch and it will release. Good luck.

/ Coupler won't release ball! #9  
I just delivered 10 tons of hay to the plant and dropped the trailer off at the shop before the rain hit. 5th wheel got stuck on hitch. I just keep crankin down the twin jacks until it lifts the couple off. It'll lift the *** of the truck up a little then let go.

/ Coupler won't release ball! #10  
Bulldog hitches are the best I've used...never had a problem, ever...

Rich

PS, A really BFH will usually solve the problem...good luck...