2001 Grand Cherokee

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I just looked at a used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 155,000 miles on it. Its got a 4.0l (I think) in line 6. The body and the interior are what I would say is excellent condition for the number of miles. It looks like everything on it leaks, but they are what I would call minor leaks. It needs front brakes, but the rears are good. Shocks and struts look O.K. He started it, and it started up well, but had some kind of engine noise, probably lifters. The tapping faded with higher rpms and it seemed like it was quieting down after it ran a couple of minutes. I didn't drive it, it would be the first vehicle for my 15 year old daughter. If my daughter and wife seem interested I'll take it for a drive. I'm just trying to get some feelers for how good of a vehicle they are. I like the price, 5k will probably buy it, but I don't like the miles.

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #2  
without recent research, I would say 5k is a little high, not sure though. The 4.0's were ok motors from what I hear, but if you are looking at other similar vehicles, avoid the 3.7's at all costs. 155k miles is not that bad really for an 11 year old vehicle, but that is me that tinkers with cars and am reasonable knowledgeable, not sure how great it would be for a teenage daughter, especially with winter approaching and you won't have time to really get a feel for it. Also, how's the tires? That could be a deal breaker at that pricepoint.

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #3  
I just looked at a used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 155,000 miles on it. Its got a 4.0l (I think) in line 6. The body and the interior are what I would say is excellent condition for the number of miles. It looks like everything on it leaks, but they are what I would call minor leaks. It needs front brakes, but the rears are good. Shocks and struts look O.K. He started it, and it started up well, but had some kind of engine noise, probably lifters. The tapping faded with higher rpms and it seemed like it was quieting down after it ran a couple of minutes. I didn't drive it, it would be the first vehicle for my 15 year old daughter. If my daughter and wife seem interested I'll take it for a drive. I'm just trying to get some feelers for how good of a vehicle they are. I like the price, 5k will probably buy it, but I don't like the miles.

I drive a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited which I bought new and I just had it in to the dealer for service on the AC...as I was talking with the service manager he told me I would be hard pressed to find one like mine with less than 200K miles on it...He said, and I quote ...if you take care of them they run forever with very little problems...Mine only has 83K miles...He said I should be good to 500K if I keep taking care of it...I love it and my wife drives a 2006 Grand Cherokee...we are Jeep folks...I don't think the price is too high...mine has a very small leak on the seal between the trans and engine and the dealer said let it go...not a big deal...

One more thing...be sure and drive it before you buy it ...they are very quick..be sure and floor it off the line and you will see what I mean...also punch it out at about 40 MPH or so and you will see the power the 6 cyl has...it may be more than you want your daughter to have...or you may want to caution her...they are fast.

Last edited:
   / 2001 Grand Cherokee
She won't have her license for several more months, next Septemember to be exact. The tires are O.K., but not great, some kind of off brand name, maybe 40% left.

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #5  
She won't have her license for several more months, next Septemember to be exact. The tires are O.K., but not great, some kind of off brand name, maybe 40% left.

I have some off brand tires on mine..my granddaughter is 15 and has her learners license...she has driven mine and does fine..As far as my feeling about Jeeps...I feel safe when I know my family is in one...vs. a small car...

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #6  
I am a Jeep man but only of the ones with the 4.0L. They are built proof as long as the maintenance on them is good they are known to last well over 250XXX miles, they do leak its just the nature of them, the valve cover, oil gasket, oil filter housing and possibly the rear main seal. Once these are fixed they will not leak again for many years of use. THe transmission is a 42re which isnt the strongest transmission but again if maintained it will last.

They are a strong vehicle and it will take care of you if you take care of it. Now keep in mind normal items such as the starter, brakes, alternator may start to go on it with that mileage. good luck

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #7  
I bought a 2001 for my grandaughter 3-4 yrs ago and she's had good luck with it some tires brakes, the normal stuff but now with about 150-160000 miles it might be worth about $3,500 or so check cars.com and kbb.com for prices

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #8  
Tough to best that but the price seems high. Check it close for rust all over, especially around the wheel wells and gas tank area.

Have a couple of family members with them and tough to kill. Mpg is not the best but they are simple to work on.

Chris

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #9  
Yea, 5 k for car with engine noise is high even if it does go away, what happens if it does not go away a few months later. My current car has been going strong for 2 years with a lifer noise at start up that goes away after a mile, but do you want to take that chance. 4.0 is a bit underpowered and the mileage will suck, but a decent truck overall

/ 2001 Grand Cherokee #10  
I have had two of the 4.0 liter grand cherokee's, a 1996 grand Laredo and a 1998 grand limited. The 96 just went to the wrecker last week with 450,000 kms on it. The motor had a bad enough lifter tick that it almost sounded like a diesel at start-up.but the noise never seemed to make any difference in the performance and never caused any problems in the 200,000 kms that I drove it.
The 98 that I have has approximately 250,000 k on it and it also to a lesser extent has the same tick. I wouldn't be worried at all about buying another in the future.
In my experience the worst problems with the jeeps have been electrical gremlins( interior lights,auto headlights,rear wipers..etc) mechanically the only recurring problems that I have had are u-joints,cv joints(on the 96) and parking brakes(poor design) . After the second time replacing the u-joints I purchased lifetime warranty parts and never had a problem again,live and learn.
The only other thing to watch on the grand cherokee's is the body's , I have found them to rust badly under the plastic cladding ,my 96 actually looked fine with no noticeable rust until I started to dismantle it for parts, then I found that it was completely rusted out under the front and rear bumper covers and the rockers were rusted out under the body side molding, just something to watch for........Craig