Are women born mechanically challenged?

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #21  
Some are some are not. Its her money so let her spend it.

Me personally would have fixed it all. I would have done it myself but it would have been fixed. Everything I own from a $75 leaf blower to a $100,000 boat is mechanically perfect. Just the way I do things.

Chris

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #22  
well -- tell her she can give you the car and she can use the money (so called repairs) for a down payment on a brand new car....

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #23  
Ummm...OP here, wife just texted me and said the bill to repair the seal leak I formerly stated was really tiny cost close to $760, the bill to replace the steering sensor was $341, and the bill to replace the leaking air shocks was $374. What a stupid, inane waste of money...none of those things HAD to be done and anybody with any common sense would have realized that. AND YOU KNOW WHAT??? Although I advised her to ask for the old parts to have proof the work was actually done, no, she never did that. For all she knows they simply tightened up the rocker cover gaskets and replaced the air lines to the rear leveling shocks and cleaned and reconnected the steering sensor plug...and billed her $1400 for work that cost them about $300 for labor. ROTFLMAO.

I'm the proud owner of a 2001 Buick LeSabre with 212,000 miles. I haven't replaced any seals because it uses less than a quart of oil between oil changes. I've never had any problem with the "service stability system" or the "steering sensor". Actually, I didn't know It had those things.

The leaking self-leveling air shocks are a different matter. When the shocks or hoses leak, the automatic air pump cycles on and off every few minutes which can become very annoying. As a temporary fix I pulled the fuse on the air pump. The Buick is not like the old Lincolns where the rear end would sag when the self-leveling shocks failed. For a permanent fix I had an independent shop replace the air shocks with Monroe Load Levelers. Monroe has a specific retrofit for the Buick, However, they are not cheap. I doubt a Buick dealer would do a retrofit.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #24  
JDgreen227 said:
Ummm...OP here, wife just texted me and said the bill to repair the seal leak I formerly stated was really tiny cost close to $760, the bill to replace the steering sensor was $341, and the bill to replace the leaking air shocks was $374. What a stupid, inane waste of money...none of those things HAD to be done and anybody with any common sense would have realized that. AND YOU KNOW WHAT??? Although I advised her to ask for the old parts to have proof the work was actually done, no, she never did that. For all she knows they simply tightened up the rocker cover gaskets and replaced the air lines to the rear leveling shocks and cleaned and reconnected the steering sensor plug...and billed her $1400 for work that cost them about $300 for labor. ROTFLMAO.

Did you have to pay for it? If not, its not worth getting worked up over. I do not fault her at all. As a matter of fact, she made a smart decision and must have some mechanical knowledge. Fix the oil leak-engine wont run low on oil causing engine problems or failure. Fix the shocks and avoid premature suspension wear on other parts. $1400 on a good car is better than $14000 on a new one. Did she get ripped off? Who knows, who cares. She is riding in a more reliable and safer vehicle now.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #25  
"Are women born mechanically challenged?"

I'll answer your question with a question.

"Are men born sexist?"

In both cases, the answer is no, but somehow, your wife got to be mechanically challenged and you got to be sexist. I bet if you examine the sources of those outcomes, you'll find that, at their heart, they are similar. Congratulations: now you can answer your own question with a little introspection.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #26  
We had a female engineer as one of my peers, and she was a good engineer, and a fine looking woman by the way. And another lady in our office does all the mechanical and installation work around her house as her husband is challenged by a screwdriver. So the stereotypes are certainly not always true. Some women are not very good with mechanical things, and I don't know why for sure, whether it is because they are pushed in that direction from birth or they just have no aptitude or interest, but I also know a fair amount of guys that have no aptitude or interest also. So who knows. I don't think it matters much. Some people are interested in one thing, and some in another.

James K0UA

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #27  
Mechanically challenged ?

Don't know about that.

Do any of them know how to roll up a garden hose ?

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #28  

Is that David Axelrod, the architect of Oscama's re-election?

Anyway, check out Liz Miles and she is one fine looking young woman who can outwrench me with both of her hands tied behind her back.

A mechanical engineer friend of mine told his mechanically inept son, "Being helpless is expensive." His son is in his final year of law school.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #29  
"Are women born mechanically challenged?"

I'll answer your question with a question.

"Are men born sexist?"

In both cases, the answer is no, but somehow, your wife got to be mechanically challenged and you got to be sexist. I bet if you examine the sources of those outcomes, you'll find that, at their heart, they are similar. Congratulations: now you can answer your own question with a little introspection.

x2
This guy has more car problems and complaints about dealerships than anyone I have ever seen. But his response is always the same...."I know how to do the work I just choose not too" Maybe spend less time on the forums complaining and more time on the forums learning how to do your own car repairs so you dont have to complain about it.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #30  
My wife is very mechanical. She runs a discbine and loads hay with our 150 HP tractor. Knows how to fix things, too. I would say she's more mechanical than 90% of the members of this forum. Good lookin, too. :)