Are women born mechanically challenged?

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #31  
And you can find an occasional engineer who is mechanically challenged.
phew... dont get me started here... I took a lot of time to explain such "occasional engineer" that what he drew in his production drawings, was entirely different than what he making a Finite Ends Analysis of... FEM software doesnt think in steel plates welded together, FEM thinks any surface meeting means a thorough connection, as if it was cast. I warned there were huge peak strains around the edges of the plate, right at the welds, and that his FEM calculated with the same elements though welds have different tensile strength and Young's modulus than the mother material... Sure i knew nothing about it because he had a degree and i didnt, but in the end the three machines all cracked where i predicted, and are now doing fine with the torque tube and attachment details as i specified, according to a simple hand calculation and old school engineering judgement... ;)

Even though i never took courses in FEM and havent ever used it myself, i turned out to have a better grasp of the concept of FEM than the booksmart guy that took evening classes to learn it...

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #32  
My wife did all the plumbing in our house, and it passed inspection first try! She also did the taping and mudding which I didn't have the patience for, she said its kind of like icing a cake... She's not going to diagnose why the old rototiller isn't starting this year, but she has no experience or desire to work on it.
She does listen to me on car issues, as like the OP, at a certain point I don't feel the need to keep all the frivolous systems working, and she likes that it saves us money.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #33  
Your totally right JD, I stuck a wrench in my daughters hands at two months old and she had no idea what to do with it?? Funny thing is my son was the same way, go figure:laughing:

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #34  
Do any of them know how to roll up a garden hose ?
My sister in law knows how. She uses the lawnmower. I see chopped up hoses all over the place over there. Brother in law wont let her on the lawnmower anymore.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #35  
the lower intake seal on my old dodge ram caused it to suck engine oil into the intake and burn it off. it would go through a quart every 1k and didn't leak a drop. just a thought.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #36  
My sister in law knows how. She uses the lawnmower. I see chopped up hoses all over the place over there. Brother in law wont let her on the lawnmower anymore.

Women are smarter than men when it comes to getting of doing things they do not want to do perhaps? :D

/ Are women born mechanically challenged?
the lower intake seal on my old dodge ram caused it to suck engine oil into the intake and burn it off. it would go through a quart every 1k and didn't leak a drop. just a thought.

Thanks for sharing that info...the Buick I posted about had 63,000 miles on the engine and never burned nor leaked a drop until the past 2-3 months and even then the leak was so tiny I barely caught it. Car always got pampered and got oil and filter changes every 2500-3000 miles the entire lifetime I owned it, and I never had to add any oil between changes. To me, spending over $700 at a shop on such a pi**ant little leak was just plain foolish.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged?
x2
This guy has more car problems and complaints about dealerships than anyone I have ever seen. But his response is always the same...."I know how to do the work I just choose not too" Maybe spend less time on the forums complaining and more time on the forums learning how to do your own car repairs so you dont have to complain about it.

Do you think I give a s*** about what you think? Tell you something...my ex-wife took the car in at 7:30 am one day and she picked it up at 3:30pm. According to the repair orders only one mechanic worked on it and the total bill for labor was over $850 and the labor rate according to the RO was $85 per hour. Over ten hours of labor was charged, and they had the car no more than 8 hours....no doubt the mechanic worked on it during his lunch period and during his morning and afternoon break periods too.

MR. MONKEYWRENCH AT YOUR SERVICE !!!!!!! RIPOFF ARTISTS !!!! Know what amazes me? I worked for 31 years as a carpenter and I never padded my time or expense reports. After retiring I worked as a private contractor doing the same type of work and I never padded my time or material expenses or mileage billed to a customer, EVER. At $20-25 an hour for labor and 0.25 per mile, padding my time and expenses would have been dishonest. But apparently Mr. Monkeywrench has no misgivings about padding the bill for maybe 7 actual hours of labor UP TO TEN HOURS, and at $85 labor charge per hour that should be prosecuted as criminal fraud. And don't get me started on the "flat rate" c*** used by repair shops. All that flat rate c*** does is encourage mechanics to work as fast as possible and and do p*** poor work so their employer can s***w over the customers.....REALLY.

Last edited:
   / Are women born mechanically challenged? #39  
From what I have seen from your posts on this forum, I dont think you care what anyone thinks. I believe you just like to throw yourself pity parties on here and neglect to take in any of the useful advice people have tried to give you on your MANY problems.

/ Are women born mechanically challenged? #40  
. I can do laundry, change diapers, do housework, prepare a year's worth of meals, use a sewing machine (!!!!!) and I can easily do all those things,

Aha..... But when doing the laundry can you fold a fitted sheet ??:D