Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Default Re: Are women born mechanically challenged?

My wife tries to fix whatever she can by herself, but if I expect to get out of all the work in the house, and I do, I better fix everything outside. If I wasn't around I would expect her to use her best judgment on all the repairs and hope she wouldn't get taken by Mr. Goodwrench, but then I have been taken by them also. All we can do is do the best we can with the information available, but others seem to always know a better way to fix the problem.
    3720, Frontier 6' BB; 6' Rear Blade.; Loaded tires and Ballast Box; Dirt Scoop.

X740; 62" Deck; w/47" Snoblower; 42" Hydraulic Tiller.
    54" Front blade; 48" Belly Blade

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by deerehunter/operator View Post
    From what I have seen from your posts on this forum, I dont think you care what anyone thinks. I believe you just like to throw yourself pity parties on here and neglect to take in any of the useful advice people have tried to give you on your MANY problems.
    AWWWW.....HOW SAD.....it's a free country here and a free forum and I can say whatever I want. Suppose next time you have a plumber over to your house and he does 7 hours of work I hope he charges you for 10 so you have an idea of how much contempt I have for Mr. Monkeywrench and his associates.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor
    Mahindra 3525

Most shops charge the hrs by book rates. for example the book might say 3 hrs to replace a water pump so that is what is charged even if the job only took 2 hrs to do

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    AWWWW.....HOW SAD.....it's a free country here and a free forum and I can say whatever I want. Suppose next time you have a plumber over to your house and he does 7 hours of work I hope he charges you for 10 so you have an idea of how much contempt I have for Mr. Monkeywrench and his associates.
    They always charge at least the estimate, even if it takes less time that they thought it would.
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

Bronze Member deerehunter/operator's Avatar

Ill be sure to jump on tractorbynet.com and start a thread (sob story) about how many times Ive been taken by plumber x and how I still continue to go back and use him so I have more useless threads to start.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

I had an estimate for $300 to dig a trench with a tractor backhoe and $200 to come back and backfill it after the job was done. After 1.5 hours he was done with the dig which he expected it to take 4 hours to do. I asked him if he was going to give me break on the price because it didn't take that long, and of course I knew what his answer was going to be, "I don't do that." So he got himself a super raise for that job and I was fried. I wouldn't get him to dig my grave after that.

I back-filled it myself with a X740 or equivalent at the time, in a few hours, but I know he would have stuffed me on that one to. Of course, the only thing I can do is mention to my friends how I feel I got a raw deal from him. The thing is, I use to work with the guy at a JD factory so maybe he wanted to get a piece o' me.
    3720, Frontier 6' BB; 6' Rear Blade.; Loaded tires and Ballast Box; Dirt Scoop.

X740; 62" Deck; w/47" Snoblower; 42" Hydraulic Tiller.
    54" Front blade; 48" Belly Blade

You're going to have to associate with more Technicians rather than hanging around the monkey bar place!
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Phord lie detector

Quote Originally Posted by deere Dude View Post
    I had an estimate for $300 to dig a trench with a tractor backhoe and $200 to come back and backfill it after the job was done. After 1.5 hours he was done with the dig which he expected it to take 4 hours to do. I asked him if he was going to give me break on the price because it didn't take that long, and of course I knew what his answer was going to be, "I don't do that." So he got himself a super raise for that job and I was fried. I wouldn't get him to dig my grave after that. I back-filled it myself with a X740 or equivalent at the time, in a few hours, but I know he would have stuffed me on that one to. Of course, the only thing I can do is mention to my friends how I feel I got a raw deal from him. The thing is, I use to work with the guy at a JD factory so maybe he wanted to get a piece o' me.
    When you ask someone for an "estimate", as you did, that's what you get, an ESTIMATE!!
    Maybe he thought he was going to hit rocks, stumps or who knows what. If he hit a 6' diameter boulder and it took 8 hours, would he get paid more than his estimate?
    Did he hold a .357 to your head and make you accept his estimate? You should have asked him to work by the hour if you wanted to pay for exactly what you wanted, but then you might be back here complaining that he worked really slow and took a lot of breaks???

I understand your frustrations, but I'm sure you're a big boy and understand that when you run machinery for people (like I do) for a living, sometimes you finish sooner, sometimes it takes you longer. Hopefully it all evens out in the end. I can tell you that if someone is willing to trailer a backhoe to your house and do just about ANY trench for $400, that's not all that bad. It probably took him >1 hour to load the machine, binder it down, unload at your place 1.5 hrs to dig your trench, than >1 hour to load machine and take it home.
    Case-IH 7120 MFWD & M series Kubota MFWD tractors. New Holland discbines. New holland square & round hay balers. GM, Ford, IH, trucks.
    Hay Farmer & shipper. We grow & ship about 1,000 tons/yr.

Tig
    Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    Women are smarter than men when it comes to getting out of doing things they do not want to do perhaps?
    Oh there's a science to that and it's not just for women. I no longer get invited to go to the mall.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Tractor
    Kubota L35

Quote Originally Posted by Hay Dude View Post
    When you ask someone for an "estimate", as you did, that's what you get, an ESTIMATE!!
    Yep, that's why it's a good idea to try and get more than just one bid (estimate) for the job.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast