Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you!

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #11  
Well then seriously - that will be your limit. The trailer will be rated much higher than you can (legally) tow. Sure you are fine with your smaller trailer and tractor at this point, but a twin axle 16-18' or more will be over your limits, I'm sure. You should check that out and do some math on the weights vs your limits before you commit.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #12  
My preference would be 18', no rails, with fold up ramps but your needs may vary. My 18' trailer is primarily used to haul my tractor and is setup as such. I have a 10' trailer for other needs. If I didn't have the 10' trailer I would probably want rails on the 18' trailer.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you!
Well then seriously - that will be your limit. The trailer will be rated much higher than you can (legally) tow. Sure you are fine with your smaller trailer and tractor at this point, but a twin axle 16-18' or more will be over your limits, I'm sure. You should check that out and do some math on the weights vs your limits before you commit.

Dave... note that in my original post I said a potential bigger tractor down the road. I realize that would also mean a larger tow vehicle as well. If I went crazily big on a tractor, not only would I need a bigger tow vehicle but also a heavier duty trailer than I'm looking at. I'm easily within my limits. ;) I've been towing for a long time... and was simply more curious what guys/gals preferred in a trailer (more than what I'm able to handle). Thanks for the heads up though... :) All the best! S....

My preference would be 18', no rails, with fold up ramps but your needs may vary. My 18' trailer is primarily used to haul my tractor and is setup as such. I have a 10' trailer for other needs. If I didn't have the 10' trailer I would probably want rails on the 18' trailer.

Thanks Buck! I wish I had room to keep my 12 footer as well but it'll have to find a new home. :/ That would be the ideal setup.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #15  
You need to get out your crystal ball and try to figure out everything you will do with the trailer in the future. I have a 16 foot with sides and bought it basically because it was really cheap and I could get the tractor on it. It would be nice to have an 18 foot but I have a couple of places I need to move it that I would have real trouble turning an 18 footer around. I wish it didn't have sides everytime I pick up something that's on pallets but I love the sides when I'm hauling mulch or gravel.

You need to get out your crystal ball and try to figure out everything you will do with the trailer in the future. I have a 16 foot with sides and bought it basically because it was really cheap and I could get the tractor on it. It would be nice to have an 18 foot but I have a couple of places I need to move it that I would have real trouble turning an 18 footer around. I wish it didn't have sides everytime I pick up something that's on pallets but I love the sides when I'm hauling mulch or gravel.

Great point with the sides Kenny... been there myself a few times (and wasn't thinking about that). Thank you!

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #17  
KennyG said:

I think if I had only one trailer it would have removable sides as you could load pallets and not have sides in the way when chaining a tractor yet have sides to haul mulch, dirt, sand, etc. This is based on my needs but others likely have other needs.

I think if I had only one trailer it would have removable sides as you could load pallets and not have sides in the way when chaining a tractor yet have sides to haul mulch, dirt, sand, etc. This is based on my needs but others likely have other needs.

Thanks Buck... leaning this way now.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #19  
My 18ft flatbed car hauler weighs 1990lbs. Figure the trailer weight into the load. A SWB V6 Silverado has a tough time with my trailer.

My 18ft flatbed car hauler weighs 1990lbs. Figure the trailer weight into the load. A SWB V6 Silverado has a tough time with my trailer.

Absolutely... thanks