Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #1  

scott123456789

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 MF 135
I need to bring my tractor in to the dealer but do not currently own a trailer. They want about $100 one way. From what I can tell I need about an 18' and 20' would be even better for my needs. Would like to be able to throw a 6' disk my massey 135 and bush hog on the trailer for transport. Or my FIL's L3400 kubota with 5' bush hog and loader. I feel like I am right on the edge of the 3500 dual axle trailer and 5000+axles.

Secondly I have had to rent three uhaul car haulers within the last two years and would love the trailer to dual purpose as a car hauler but my car is awfully low to the ground and requires a dove tail and long ramps.

Is it possible to get a standard railed flatbed with a dove tail? How useless is a traditional car hauler for farm use, hay, metal other assorted large items?

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #2  
A 7000 lb trailer will be too light for you. A 10K# car hauler would work providing your tractors will fit between the fenders (maximum width you can find is very near 82"). Otherwise, a 10K# deck-over is in order, but they suck as car haulers because of the short beavertail and abrupt transition between deck & tail.

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #3  
My 18' car hauler with a flat deck and 5' slide in ramps has hauled three Corvettes with no issues. If I can haul a Vette I am sure I could haul anyyhing.

Its a low boy and only 14" deck to ground.

Chris

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #4  
Is it possible to get a standard railed flatbed with a dove tail? How useless is a traditional car hauler for farm use, hay, metal other assorted large items?
By traditional car hauler I am thinking with out side rails?
I dont like having side rails, for me it gets in the way for alot of loads. Downside is you have tie everything down...which is not really a bad thing. I had a trailer built by C&M trailers in Ennis Tx.They are the MFG, and you eliminate the middleman. Mine is G/N but they also make the same version in a bumper pull. 20; with 10" channel drive over fenders. I had the deck in front and rear of fenders brought out to width of outside of fenders. I am 83" wide between fenders and 102'' wide with tie down rail in front/rear of fenders. I can load round bales 2 wide and stack on top in center. Plus I can load wide stuff like frames etc on top of the fenders and tiedown, if I need to I can use the fenders as a Tie down point also

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed
My rear wheels are just set at 66" or so at the moment. And the kubota is a bit narrower. I figured the 10K# would be needed. I thought the dove tail makes life a bunch easier. But perhaps with longer ramps that wouldn't even be needed. Really don't plan to haul the car but if I have a flatbed I want that to be an option with out farm vehicles etc.

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #6  
They are pros and cons to both trailers. First let's do the car hauler
Pro's Low to the ground, lightweigh,t easy to load.Con's may scrape the ground in lower areas, sometimes it's hard to find a fastener spot around the fenders.
Now the deck over. Pro's More surface space on the deck, No fenders to avoid, Can have fastners all along the rails.
Con's Heavier, Higher center of gravity while driving, harder to load because of heights

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #7  
I wouldnt buy anything until you talk to Tiger Trailers. These are the most overbuilt trailers I have seen, and thousands less than Big Tex for what you get. My flatbed will haul anything that will fit on it. Its literally a 20K deck on 14K axles and it has two 6K gooseneck jacks on the nose. Trout trailer Sales in Porter Texas is where I got mine. They have prices on their website.

. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed
Ii believe I have a tiger dealer in town here. How heavy is that beast? Currently only have a 1500 dodge to pull with.

/ Car Hauler vs Regular Flatbed #10  
I believe its in the 3000 to 3500 pound range. That being said, its the best pulling trailer I have ever pulled. I dont feel it back there at all.