Grade 70 chains

/ Grade 70 chains #1  

ST98

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540
I'm in the need for some new 3/8 grade 70 chains. I've looked around and for around here ther pretty high. I looked at several companies online and found MFR express to have free shipping and not a bad price on chain (see link). Has anyone ever purchased these chains? My experience with 3/8 chain is we always lost them before we broke one. I'm not sure if grade spec'd chain is the same regardless the manufacturer.

Thanks

3/8''x20' Grade 70 Binder Transport Chain 3/8'' Tie Down Chain | 3/8'' Chain | 3/8'' Grade 70 Chain | 3/8'' Flat Bed Chain | 3/8'' Binder Chain - $41.95

/ Grade 70 chains #2  
   / Grade 70 chains #3  
The chain looks good, grade 70 is strong. Free Shipping On Orders $50 Or More!

/ Grade 70 chains #4  
Good price. It looks like the long link variety tho, of which I am not a fan. Otherwise Id buy.
larry

/ Grade 70 chains #7  
A couple of years ago Lowes had 3/8 grade 70 20' chains in a vinyl pouch for around $40.00. I bought two chains, but haven't looked recently.

/ Grade 70 chains #8  
per a new rule by some gov't agency. (which i dont remember off the top of my head) new chain as of 2012? is to be stamped with G7 or G70 every few links to indicate it has passed Grade 70 test. (G5 or G50 for grade 50 G10/G12 for grade 100 or grade120 (generally overhead lifting certified)

You can now buy the cheapest Chinese G70 chain you can find and If it has stamps feel safe in knowing it (should) meets the standard.

/ Grade 70 chains #9  
I will post what we sell the Domestic and Import chain for when i get to work tomorrow for a reference. Domestic 3/8" x 20' grade 70 is right around 45.00....If i remember correct. At that price its got to be import with free shipping.
If the the grade is not stamped on the chain link, then DOT will rate it at grade 30, then write tickets for not having enough load securement.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Use of Unmarked Tiedowns
The new rules do not prohibit the use of unmarked tiedown devices. Although many of the participants in the public meetings and numerous commenters to the rulemaking proposal argued the rules should include such a prohibition, FMCSA believes it is inappropriate to prohibit unmarked tiedowns at this time. However, in view of the potential safety hazards of motor carriers misidentifying unmarked tiedowns, there is a provision that unmarked welded steel chain be considered to have a working load limit equal to that of grade 30 proof coil, and other types of unmarked tiedowns be considered to have a working load limit equal to the lowest rating for that type in the table of working load limits.

/ Grade 70 chains #10  
I might be the odd guy out but I will only buy or use USA chain and grab or slip clevis hooks. I'd buy other stuff from China but I figure the relatively small cost in price is just insurance against the unexpected. Chain is too important.
I use grade 70 USA 5/16" chain and it's worked for decades. Also have some 5/16" super alloy chain that came with a log winch years ago and it is the toughest and most indestructable chain I ever saw. I think it came from Sweden.
Don't forget the end hooks. It's getting much harder to find USA made hooks.