Grade 70 chains

/ Grade 70 chains #11  
Best chains I have came from the oilfield. The link welds are pushed in to prevent the chain from knotting up. It looks like a point in the center of the link. I love em. I do not remember if they are 70 or 43 though. I don't know how else to describe it or if you can order chains like it in any grade???

/ Grade 70 chains #12  
I have bought 20' 5/16" grade 70 from Lowes for about $40 - comes with grab hooks on both ends, rated at something like 4500lbs SWL. This is the best price I have been able to find and they always seem to have them in stock when I need them.

/ Grade 70 chains
Does anyone know how WLL applies to the whole load? ie I have a 5 ton excavator how much do your chains have to be rated with 6 tie downs?

Last edited:
   / Grade 70 chains #14  
For high quality materials sold locally, look in the yellow pages for businesses with "wire rope" in the name, like "Edwards Wire Rope" in OKC. They are likely have a wide variety of stock and quality to meet whatever specs you give them, and the sales people should be knowledgeable. The only negative is they are used to selling chain, cable, and fittings to industries (like drilling rig operators), not consumers, so a $40.00 purchase is not going to affect their weekly sales quota.

/ Grade 70 chains #15  
Does anyone know how WLL applies to the whole load? ie I have a 5 ton excavator how much do your chains have to be rated with 6 tie downs?

In Virginia cargo must be secured (per VDOT) with tiedowns capable of lifting 1.5 times the weight of the cargo. One tiedown every 10 linear feet, no fewer than 2.

/ Grade 70 chains #16  
I might be the odd guy out but I will only buy or use USA chain and grab or slip clevis hooks. I'd buy other stuff from China but I figure the relatively small cost in price is just insurance against the unexpected. Chain is too important.
I use grade 70 USA 5/16" chain and it's worked for decades. Also have some 5/16" super alloy chain that came with a log winch years ago and it is the toughest and most indestructable chain I ever saw. I think it came from Sweden.
Don't forget the end hooks. It's getting much harder to find USA made hooks.

6dogs- 10-4 on that! Same with striking tools. Think about the trust you put in that chain or hook- or you are pounding away with a 22 oz. hammer on a chisel!

/ Grade 70 chains #17  
6dogs- 10-4 on that! Same with striking tools. Think about the trust you put in that chain or hook- or you are pounding away with a 22 oz. hammer on a chisel!

You bet on that. Forty years ago my friend and I were using a wedge to split up some walnut wood we cut down. A piece flew off and into his leg and he nearky bled to death. It was a real awakening for me and I may have used wedges after that but wore eye protection and kept the curled over edges ground off. I don't stand under chain or take those risks but it is the unanticipated risk that kills us before our time. Not me, I hope, and I use USA chain and hook ends and that's the way it is. Other can take that risk instead.

/ Grade 70 chains #18  
You bet on that. Forty years ago my friend and I were using a wedge to split up some walnut wood we cut down. A piece flew off and into his leg and he nearky bled to death. It was a real awakening for me and I may have used wedges after that but wore eye protection and kept the curled over edges ground off. I don't stand under chain or take those risks but it is the unanticipated risk that kills us before our time. Not me, I hope, and I use USA chain and hook ends and that's the way it is. Other can take that risk instead.

Probably a domestic wedge that almost killed him.

/ Grade 70 chains #19  
Probably a domestic wedge that almost killed him.

40 years ago it probably was-but the point is would you rather take the chance with a domestic brand name or a made in China item. Note I said "brand name". let the buyer beware!

/ Grade 70 chains #20  
Import(korean,not chinese) chains run right at 40.00 and domestic @ 46.00. Not much dealer cost difference in the imports and domestic we carry, also not much room for mark up to be competitive.