07 Toyota Tundra

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Anyone else think it's a pain in the butt to change the oil on these trucks ?? & the plastic oil filter housing ??? Is this the best Toyota can do ??

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #2  
My truck is an 07 Tundra, I agree with you I don't like that filter.

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #3  
I think that is what Toyota is going to. My buddy has a Lexus, it has the same type of cartridge filter.

/ 07 Toyota Tundra
My complaint is, this is the most difficult vehicles that I have to do an oil change on. On top of that they used a plastic housing. I inherited this truck when my FIL passed away. He never changed the oil in this truck. He always took it to the dealer. Now I know why

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #5  
Most manufactures are going to this style of filter.

Chris

/ 07 Toyota Tundra
Most manufactures are going to this style of filter.

Chris

Filter isn't the problem. It's the location and the fact that they use a plastic filter housing/ case. Skid plate has to be removed to even access the filter housing/case. Then, you insert a plastic part that comes with the filter to push into the plastic filter housing /case, so that the oil will drain from the housing/case. oil change is more difficult on this Toyota than any of my other vehicles. Guess I can't complain to much. The truck was willed to me

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #7  
I have a Tundra and suffer the same problem. If the housing was made more accessable it would be a lot less painful.
As noted, you have to drop an awkward belly pan and then figure out how to get the plastic stuff apart without damaging things. If you didn't have to drop that pan, things would be a lot less painful. If there were another truck of comperable quality and reputation without the filter, I could be tempted to consider a swap in vehicles on the next purchase.

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #8  
I find the belly pan removal more of an issue than the filter canister. I use a KD filter cup, the part number of which I can't recall, but purchased it at NAPA, and a wine bottle. I place the filter drain adapter in the neck of the bottle and simply push the bottle/adapter up into the drain. All the oil in the filter housing is drained into the bottle without so much as a drop spilled and the "o" ring is removed by the adapter

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #9  
There are worse out there so dont complain too hard.

/ 07 Toyota Tundra #10  
I have a Tundra and suffer the same problem. If the housing was made more accessable it would be a lot less painful.
As noted, you have to drop an awkward belly pan and then figure out how to get the plastic stuff apart without damaging things. If you didn't have to drop that pan, things would be a lot less painful. If there were another truck of comperable quality and reputation without the filter, I could be tempted to consider a swap in vehicles on the next purchase.

Wow. I thought getting at the filter on my '97 Jeep Wrangler was bad, but this sounds ridiculous.
When I get a new car I need to remember to check the location of the filter. My wife's subaru is a piece of cake to work on. Just reach under the bumper a few inches to access the filter. Oil filler tube is right up front also.

Vic