2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
Well it looks like the single biggest impediment to me ever buying a Cummins powered Ram has been addressed. According to multiple articles that I've read as well as Ram's own website the 2013 Ram 3500 when equipped with a Cummins is available with an Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission. 2013 also brings with it selective catalytic reduction ( and of course DEF injection) and a corresponding bump in fuel economy. The Cummins is rated for 385 horsepower and 850 lb ft of torque in the 3500 models equipped with the Aisin. Additional frame redesign brings class leading GCVWR and tow ratings as well as additional front end capacity for snow plows. It looks like Ram has bridged the gap and now I'd say that all 3 brands of HD trucks are about a coin flip apart. I might actually look at replacing my Silverado 2500HD in the future with a crew cab or mega cab Ram 3500 with the Cummins and Aisin combo. Way to go Ram, I'm always happy to see healthy competition as in the end then consumer wins.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #2  
850 Ft lbs of torque...... Think about that for a moment. Remember the old Chevy Custom Deluxe 1 tons with the 292 6 cyl engines???

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #3  
It was much need for Dodge. I will give them another look.

Chris

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #4  
I have been a dodge fan for quite a while, I currently own a 96 2500 gasser and have wanted a diesel more than anything. I can't afford new, but maybe in 2 or 3 or 10 years I can afford a 2013. I gotta admit though, the newer gas engines (not necessarily dodge) have really come a long way and may be more within my price range and are probably acceptable for the towing that I do.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #5  
i am on my third dodge. 02 and 08 1500s and now i just got a great deal on a 12 2500 hemi. leaps and bounds better than the last two and i was pleased with them. maybe i will get a 2013+ style in a few years if i need to start hauling more than i plan to do now. 6.4l hemi is due out for the 2014 trucks through the entire hd range.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks
I've got a Hemi powered Durango for a take-home government car. The Hemi is awesome, not the best on fuel, but a great engine nonetheless. There are a bunch of non power train gremlins but it's also a 2004 model which is pretty close to the low point in quality across the board in American car quality in my opinion. The only real hangup I've got with my Durango is the transmission. It's been well taken care of but it does have occasional issues, primarily when it's either cold or has been idling for a while. Based on other friends' vehicle problems as well I have reason to be a little leery of Chrysler transmissions. However Ram finally did the right thing and now offers a new non Chrysler transmission attached to their diesel to appeal to customers like myself. I really like the DMax and Allison combo and have had great luck with GM trucks, but I would still probably give the nod to the Cummins engine as best in class if for no other reason than it being easier to work on. Now that Ram has a true medium duty truck transmission attached to a true medium duty truck engine in their pickup they will be a force to be reconed with.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #7  
i was browsing a hot-shotters forum not to long ago reading up on gooseneck trailers and it seems they have fallen in love with the aisin since they started using it in the 45/5500 rams.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #8  
I've got a Hemi powered Durango for a take-home government car. The Hemi is awesome, not the best on fuel, but a great engine nonetheless. There are a bunch of non power train gremlins but it's also a 2004 model which is pretty close to the low point in quality across the board in American car quality in my opinion. The only real hangup I've got with my Durango is the transmission. It's been well taken care of but it does have occasional issues, primarily when it's either cold or has been idling for a while. Based on other friends' vehicle problems as well I have reason to be a little leery of Chrysler transmissions. However Ram finally did the right thing and now offers a new non Chrysler transmission attached to their diesel to appeal to customers like myself. I really like the DMax and Allison combo and have had great luck with GM trucks, but I would still probably give the nod to the Cummins engine as best in class if for no other reason than it being easier to work on. Now that Ram has a true medium duty truck transmission attached to a true medium duty truck engine in their pickup they will be a force to be reconed with.

And that's the whole point. Ford has tried for decades to slap overated car transmissions like the E4OD, 4R100 and to a lesser degree, torqshift transmissions to diesels putting out 600+ ft lbs of torque being used to tow 20,000lb trailers. GM had the foresight to start using a medium duty transmissions way back in 2001. Dodge has FINALLY decided to bolt a legitimate medium duty Aisin transmission to their mediums a few years back.
For some really bizzarre reason, Ford thinks they are a world recognized truck transmission company, when they are not. Our torqshift transmissions are adequate, but only 5 gears and no manual shift mode. However, they do seem to last more than 50K miles, which is a quantum leap forward for Ford from previous transmissions. They would be best served to outsource to a company like Aisin or Allison (as they do for their bigger trucks) and get a quality, recognized name in their trucks. I remember when we bought Ford medium duty trucks, they had "allison" or "world transmissions" name tags on them. Why? So serious truck buyers knew they had a quality, durable transmission in them.
People like that sort of thing. "Cummins", "Allison", "Dana", etc. those names & nameplates mean something to serious truck users and it sells trucks. They lend an image of reliability and toughness to the trucks that are equipped with serious hardware.
I cant speak for the newest torqshift transmission, but just a few years ago, the side by side comparison of a Ford T/S to a 6 speed ally or Aisin wasn't even a comparison in features.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks
And that's the whole point. Ford has tried for decades to slap overated car transmissions like the E4OD, 4R100 and to a lesser degree, torqshift transmissions to diesels putting out 600+ ft lbs of torque being used to tow 20,000lb trailers. GM had the foresight to start using a medium duty transmissions way back in 2001. Dodge has FINALLY decided to bolt a legitimate medium duty Aisin transmission to their mediums a few years back.
For some really bizzarre reason, Ford thinks they are a world recognized truck transmission company, when they are not. Our torqshift transmissions are adequate, but only 5 gears and no manual shift mode. However, they do seem to last more than 50K miles, which is a quantum leap forward for Ford from previous transmissions. They would be best served to outsource to a company like Aisin or Allison (as they do for their bigger trucks) and get a quality, recognized name in their trucks. I remember when we bought Ford medium duty trucks, they had "allison" or "world transmissions" name tags on them. Why? So serious truck buyers knew they had a quality, durable transmission in them.
People like that sort of thing. "Cummins", "Allison", "Dana", etc. those names & nameplates mean something to serious truck users and it sells trucks. They lend an image of reliability and toughness to the trucks that are equipped with serious hardware.
I cant speak for the newest torqshift transmission, but just a few years ago, the side by side comparison of a Ford T/S to a 6 speed ally or Aisin wasn't even a comparison in features.

I agree that just like a Cummins in a Dodge pickup is a selling feature, Allison in a GM pickup is a selling feature, as is Aisin in the new Rams. Let's face it, we're asking pickup trucks to do what medium duty trucks did 10 years ago, and they're doing a great job at it. I guess my take on it is if we want to do medium duty truck amounts of work then we should use medium duty truck parts for as many of the critical components as is feasible. I know that you and a bunch of others aren't fans of the last couple of International diesel engines in Ford trucks, and there is some merit to the arguments. However, I honestly think that Ford took a step back by sourcing their own diesel engine for their new Super Duty's despite the fact that the initial reviews are good. I honestly liked the idea of having an International diesel under the hood of my 2010 F250 and like the idea of having an International (and for that matter a ZF manual tranny) under the hood of my 1997 F350. I still think that Ford set the standard in chassis design with the Super Duty, but think that they went in the wrong direction with the 6.7 Powerstroke as now both GM and Ram can claim that they have medium duty sourced engines and transmissions in their HD trucks (and I know that DMax is now completely owned by GM now after they bought out Isuzu but it started out as and still is a medium duty truck engine producer). I'm actually very excited with the recent developments. Heck if the rumors of a larger displacement Hemi as an option for the HD trucks I think Ram is going to seriously cut into GM and Ford. My only real complaint with the current 5.7 Hemi is that I think it could use a little more displacement for use in an HD truck. Even though I own a 6.0 V8 powered Silverado I still wish the engine had just a bit more punch for use in an HD truck (even though it's adequate). 6.2 liters to 6.4 liters seems to be the displacement sweet spot in HD trucks so if Ram brings a 6.4 liter Hemi to the table alongside a Cummins/Aisin combo they may well be the truck to beat in the near future.

/ 2013 looks to be a good year for Ram HD trucks #10  

In the latest versions the 6 speed Torque Shift, actually a 7 speed tranny, has won the best of from many diesel truck magazines. I am not so sure this will be true with the Asian tranny now available but the Allison 1000 is not its all cracked up to be, especially when you start adding power.

Chris