What fuel mileage are you getting?

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
I bought a used 2007 expedition el about 9 months ago. All i seem to get is about 13 mpg at best. The only thing that is not stock is the 305/45/22 tires. Should i be doing better? 13 mpg is highway driving 110 kph or 65 mph. I'd like to blame my driving style but my wife gets the same. The air and fuel filters were changed not too long ago. Should i be concerned? Any suggestions? I love the truck, its not going anywhere.

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #2  
My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi averaged 12.7mpg over the 94k miles I had it. Your milage sounds close to me...

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #3  
I don't know about the expedition, but I'd think you'd get better than 13 out of it. I've got a 98 dodge 3500 4x4 that gets around 18 empty on the hiway at 70 mph. I've got a 97 dodge 2500 4x4 that gets around 20 empty on the hiway at 70. My wife's 03 Jeep Liberty gets about 18 on the hiway (I hate that car).

Andy

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #4  
Different engine sizes get different mileage. Not sure what size engine you have.

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #5  
Wheel alignments and tire pressures OK ? Trans lock-up converter working properly? My '07 Tahoe gets 18 - 20 in 4 cyl mode even when pulling a trailer at that speed. But I run 40 psi in the tires instead of 35.

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #6  
i own a 2007 expedition and i easily get 18-20 mpg at 65-70 mph. I've even seen it up to 22. This is totally stock with 3.73 gears and 18'' tires, so im going to assume you get suck poor mileage do to your large tires. I only get as low as 13mpg in heavy city driving/ want to hit the ''fun'' petal a bit too much

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #7  
I bought a used 2007 expedition el about 9 months ago. All i seem to get is about 13 mpg at best. The only thing that is not stock is the 305/45/22 tires. Should i be doing better? 13 mpg is highway driving 110 kph or 65 mph. I'd like to blame my driving style but my wife gets the same. The air and fuel filters were changed not too long ago. Should i be concerned? Any suggestions? I love the truck, its not going anywhere.
Several things could be factors ie; was the speedometer recalibrated when the oversized ties were installed? You could be going faster and farther than indicated. Exhaust restriction is a possibility. Is the temperature higher than you think it shoud be? Not much but on the upper side of normal. Might try the higher tire pressure, the larger tires do have considerably more rolling resistance. Would like to know when you find out anything.. .. . .. . ..
Smilikjak

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #8  
My sister has a Expedition EL and she gets around 18 with the stock 20" tires and the 5.4L.

There is something wrong with your truck or you are just doing lots of short drives and idling to bring the mpg down. Me and my neighbor get totally different mpg in the same vehicles because I drive 25 miles to work and he drives 3.5 He also picks his kids up everyday at school and sits and idles 20 minutes at a time.

Chris

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #9  
I had a 2005 Expedition 4X4 with a 5.4L engine. 12 to 15 MPG was normal for me, 16 MPG was a stretch goal. I believe if I would have had the 2X4 model I would have gotten better mileage.

/ What fuel mileage are you getting? #10  
Might have a higher power rear gear ratio?
Might have a programing chip from last owner?
I have a Chevy 454 Vortec with 4:10 ratio
10 to 11 MPG all time. tires at 65 psi or 85 psi
6 to 8 MPG pulling the 5th wheel 70 MPH
I hate to see the 4:56 ratio MPG
Glad your happy with your truck.