what to do with excess strap

/ what to do with excess strap #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
I usually use pretty long tie-down straps and most of the time have excess strap that would flop around in the wind if not tied up. I don't want to have 200 different straps of varying length, so I just deal with it. I usually fold the excess a couple times and tie the big folded bunch around the used part of the strap of something else nearby. This gets to be quite a hassle especially when using the 2" or 3" straps. With all of the creative people on this site I figured someone had an efficient system to keep the "tails" from blowing in the wind and wearing them out or getting caught in tires.

/ what to do with excess strap #2  
I just fold the excess strap back and forth into a nice stack and then use a couple of zip ties to hold it all together. Works great for me.

/ what to do with excess strap #3  
I roll up the excess and secure it close to the ratchet handle with a velcro strap. Been doing it for several years now and hasn't failed yet.

Ken

/ what to do with excess strap #4  
Fold the excess and before you tighten the strap all the way slip it under the strap to be tightened against the frame and finish tightening .

/ what to do with excess strap #5  
I just tie them up. When hauling my hit and miss engine I put the excess through the fly wheels to stop them from turning. I have yet to see and other way except for one with a large clearance to allow the entire length to be rolled around the shaft.

/ what to do with excess strap #6  
I tie mine to each other. Looks like crap, but I figure that if one comes loose, at least it won't fall off. IMG_3571.jpg

/ what to do with excess strap #7  
Fold it up and wrap it with a bungee cord.

/ what to do with excess strap #8  
After throwing the strap and loosely hooking each end, take the loose end and pull out away from the trailer to the full length. Fold the end of the strap over about 12 inches onto it's self. Continue folding the strap end over end until you reach the trailer. Tuck the now folded strap between the two sides of strap of the ratchet end. Leave a little loose, about one half a flip, for tightening up the ratchet. Tightening the ratchet tightens and locks what was the loose end securely in place.

/ what to do with excess strap #10  
I fold up the excess and use a short bungee cord to secure it to the ratchet.