Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: truck battery dead after parking with trailer hooked up

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    I hate having to un-do the U-bolts and take apart the weatherproof box to get the battery out. Also, I hate the idea that if I stored the battery indoors on a charger, I would have to take the time to put it all back together before using the trailer. So I put one of these ring terminal harnesses on it.

Attachment 291835

That way, I can easily put a trickle charger on the battery every once in a while to keep it topped off. My breakaway kit is not wired with a charger circuit, so I can't charge it through the vehicle harness.
    Yeah those are great a real time saver! OReillys has the 2 wire flat ends as a pair for a few bucks. I have them on my Harley and all my mowers and cars that sit awhile. Plus I took all my HF float chargers and put the 2 wire flat ends on them makes it easier to hook anything up to any one of my maintainers.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post

Like I said before, I actually prefer it this way. I think GM did it the correct way. It also allows you to use the plug for other things back there. I have my diesel fuel pump rigged up to run off it. I can fill my tractor by plugging into the trailer pig tail. I also have a small water pump rigged up this way so that I can transfer water from the storage tank on the truck to the holding tank of the camper. I also have my yard sprayer rigged up to use the same plug. So, again I'm quite glad that GM did it this way. I would be mad if I had another brand and couldn't use it the way I want and probably would be rewiring it.
    All you would have to do is turn on the key. GM did it wrong, plain and simple. There is a reason Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge did it the other way.

Chris

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    All you would have to do is turn on the key. GM did it wrong, plain and simple. There is a reason Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge did it the other way.

Chris
    I have to agree with DP on this. When I turn off the key, I expect the power to everything except lighting and emergency flashers to be off.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I have to agree with DP on this. When I turn off the key, I expect the power to everything except lighting and emergency flashers to be off.
    That was my thought. If I want accessory power, I generally only want it to be on when the key is in the on or ACC position. Any alternative is just an invitation to run down one's battery. I will say that I have seen a few cars where they have one 12-volt receptacle that is keyed and one that is always on--perhaps if you are going to have some accessory that you want to charge up even when the car is off. I thought that was an okay idea, I guess.

Tractor

My Nissan Titan not only came factory with a sprayed in bed liner but also a water tight 12v receptacle in the bed. Only time I have used it in 6 years was once to plug in a 12v air compressor and many times tailgating to plug in a inverter for the TV and blender. My buddy with a Titan uses his every day to plug in his battery chargers for his cordless tools while on the construction site.

Chris

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I drive Toyota's and have for years and learned to live with the key switched lighter sockets. It has caused me a few times to want to wire one thats hot then I say nah and I forget about it.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    2003 New Holland TC24D

To each his own, I'm just glad my GM's are done correctly - for my purposes. Just another reason for me to not like Ford.
    Jim
    New Holland TC24D

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I suppose each company has a reason for wiring the way they do as it seems a split here on how folks like them. I still need to find out why my battery went dead. Didnt get to it yesterday to check the battery on the trailer as weather is kind of crappy with light mist.
    It looks like it will take a bit of work removing battery cables to measure the current draw to the trailer and I have company coming in from Houston today so might be a few days before I get to it.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
    To each his own, I'm just glad my GM's are done correctly - for my purposes. Just another reason for me to not like Ford.
    Again, GM does it one way and everyone else does it the proper way for a reason. This thread is a case in point. It might work for you but its caused issues just like this for years in as little time as one may be just at a hotel for the night. Another is a camper left hooked to the tow vehicle for a quick overnight followed by a truck that will not start because the camper backfeed of the truck. I have seen it a dozen times in my business.

If you need power at the rear run a dedicated circuit.

Chris

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

I thought those circuits went dead after 10 minutes or so on GM vehicles? I've always liked having accessory sockets that are hot with the key off. That's a plus!
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast