Aluminum trailer for heavy loads?

/ Aluminum trailer for heavy loads? #1  

Webber

Tractor
Kubota
Hello forum,
I have been looking for aluminum 12k option for hauling a tractor. Hard to find anything like this around northern Michigan. Any good brands, models recommended? Like to get a 22 ft.
Thanks!

/ Aluminum trailer for heavy loads? #2  
a 12Klb aluminum trailer..... sometimes you just got to ask yourself why....

as a 7K AL trailer goes for about $7K my guess is a 12K version you cant touch for less than $15K probably more like $20K (internet says a 12K 40' AL trailer will only set you back $30,000) http://www.tommystrailers.com/new/3car/price.htm

a 14Klb 20' factory name brand trailer is less than $4000. 20 Ft, 14,000 lb. Wood Standard

so... you take the $15,000 you have saved for this AL trailer, you spend 4000 on a "real" trailer. then sell the SUV you plan to tow this with take that $$ and the left over 11,000 and buy a 3/4 ton or better yet 1 ton and be happy you have the right equipment to safely tow your heavy equipment.

/ Aluminum trailer for heavy loads? #3  
a 12Klb aluminum trailer..... sometimes you just got to ask yourself why....
The guy who replied first has 8.5x20 tilt bed trailers rated at 9990# advertised at $9950 or a 12,000# version advertised at ~$10,600

Aaron Z

/ Aluminum trailer for heavy loads? #4  
And you aren't supposed to advertise on here without being a paying advertiser shultsy.

Aaron Z

/ Aluminum trailer for heavy loads? #6  
I was wondering what happened to that post.

I have never been a fan of aluminum trailers, but to be fair I have never owned one. The weight savings isn't that significant to justify the price, and as far as oxidation goes, I prefer a structurally sound rusty steel trailer over a mildly oxidized weakened aluminum trailer that doesn't look that good anymore anyway. Maybe my perceptions are wrong, but oxidized aluminum seems to weaken way more than rusted steel. Also, steel is easy to weld to to modify (or repair). Aluminum also doesn't really look that good for long unless it has a very nice clearcoat on it or is buffed all of the time. I do however like the galvanized steel trailers that a company I used to work for made.

/ Aluminum trailer for heavy loads? #7  
I was wondering what happened to that post.

I have never been a fan of aluminum trailers, but to be fair I have never owned one. The weight savings isn't that significant to justify the price, and as far as oxidation goes, I prefer a structurally sound rusty steel trailer over a mildly oxidized weakened aluminum trailer that doesn't look that good anymore anyway. Maybe my perceptions are wrong, but oxidized aluminum seems to weaken way more than rusted steel. Also, steel is easy to weld to to modify (or repair). Aluminum also doesn't really look that good for long unless it has a very nice clearcoat on it or is buffed all of the time. I do however like the galvanized steel trailers that a company I used to work for made.
It's a toss up I guess. We are located very close to the Atlantic Ocean and the salt air is **** on steel trailers. A few years in this environment and the steel trailer is ready to roll over and die. Aluminum does oxidize and look a little rough too ... but the structure that is put into a 12K aluminum trailer is not going to weaken much with the surface pits. Those can be washed off with soapy water and a little bit of elbow grease and the aluminum trailer will look good.. Can't wash off rust... :) Thanks for the comments.. it is a regional thing as well. we do about the same with sales of both.. the aluminum ones rarely come back in on trade tho.