Tractor
    Kubota

Default Aluminum trailer for heavy loads?

Hello forum,
    I have been looking for aluminum 12k option for hauling a tractor. Hard to find anything like this around northern Michigan. Any good brands, models recommended? Like to get a 22 ft.
    Thanks!

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

Default Re: Aluminum trailer for heavy loads?

a 12Klb aluminum trailer..... sometimes you just got to ask yourself why....

as a 7K AL trailer goes for about $7K my guess is a 12K version you cant touch for less than $15K probably more like $20K (internet says a 12K 40' AL trailer will only set you back $30,000) http://www.tommystrailers.com/new/3car/price.htm

a 14Klb 20' factory name brand trailer is less than $4000. 20 Ft, 14,000 lb. Wood Standard

so... you take the $15,000 you have saved for this AL trailer, you spend 4000 on a "real" trailer. then sell the SUV you plan to tow this with take that $$ and the left over 11,000 and buy a 3/4 ton or better yet 1 ton and be happy you have the right equipment to safely tow your heavy equipment.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    a 12Klb aluminum trailer..... sometimes you just got to ask yourself why....
    The guy who replied first has 8.5x20 tilt bed trailers rated at 9990# advertised at $9950 or a 12,000# version advertised at ~$10,600

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

And you aren't supposed to advertise on here without being a paying advertiser shultsy.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    John Deer 870

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    And you aren't supposed to advertise on here without being a paying advertiser shultsy.

Aaron Z
    Gotcha. Sorry Someone asked so I was just answering.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I was wondering what happened to that post.

I have never been a fan of aluminum trailers, but to be fair I have never owned one. The weight savings isn't that significant to justify the price, and as far as oxidation goes, I prefer a structurally sound rusty steel trailer over a mildly oxidized weakened aluminum trailer that doesn't look that good anymore anyway. Maybe my perceptions are wrong, but oxidized aluminum seems to weaken way more than rusted steel. Also, steel is easy to weld to to modify (or repair). Aluminum also doesn't really look that good for long unless it has a very nice clearcoat on it or is buffed all of the time. I do however like the galvanized steel trailers that a company I used to work for made.

Tractor
    John Deer 870

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    I was wondering what happened to that post.

I have never been a fan of aluminum trailers, but to be fair I have never owned one. The weight savings isn't that significant to justify the price, and as far as oxidation goes, I prefer a structurally sound rusty steel trailer over a mildly oxidized weakened aluminum trailer that doesn't look that good anymore anyway. Maybe my perceptions are wrong, but oxidized aluminum seems to weaken way more than rusted steel. Also, steel is easy to weld to to modify (or repair). Aluminum also doesn't really look that good for long unless it has a very nice clearcoat on it or is buffed all of the time. I do however like the galvanized steel trailers that a company I used to work for made.
    It's a toss up I guess. We are located very close to the Atlantic Ocean and the salt air is **** on steel trailers. A few years in this environment and the steel trailer is ready to roll over and die. Aluminum does oxidize and look a little rough too ... but the structure that is put into a 12K aluminum trailer is not going to weaken much with the surface pits. Those can be washed off with soapy water and a little bit of elbow grease and the aluminum trailer will look good.. Can't wash off rust... Thanks for the comments.. it is a regional thing as well. we do about the same with sales of both.. the aluminum ones rarely come back in on trade tho.