Trailer shopping help needed

/ Trailer shopping help needed #1  

teampryor

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615L
I am looking to purchase in the near future a new trailer for hauling my tractor and various attachments.
I am thinking bumper pull 14k tandem axle 24' x 7' low boy with slide in ramps possibly a steel deck. reccomendations and advise appreciated.
My tractor is 18 feet from front of fel bucket or grapple to the rear of my 7' box blade add 6 feet to that for rotary cutter. With loaded tires I am from 6200 to 7400lbs dependending on attachments.

/ Trailer shopping help needed #2  
My only comment is, if you're going to tow 14k bumper pull, make sure that your tow vehicle's hitch is up to it. Most factory hitches require a weight-distribution system to get up that high, if they can do it at all. You can get class V hitches rated for 14-18k without a WD system, but they are almost, if not always, aftermarket. Frankly, towing that heavy, a WD system might not be a bad idea even if your hitch doesn't technically require it.

/ Trailer shopping help needed #3  
buy a trailer like a cam superline maxum etc cheap trailer will not hold up i have a 10k 20 foot maxum i pull my 7040sud fel loaded rear tires cast centers it weights 8000+ ibs i hual skid steers ect no problems

/ Trailer shopping help needed
yes WD for sure tow vehicle is 2011 f250.

/ Trailer shopping help needed #6  
My only comment is to go with a wood deck. With mud or just a little bit of moisture them steel decks are slicker than snot.

Chris

/ Trailer shopping help needed #7  
Just curious why BP?
I've done BP horse trailers growing up in the 18' range, a few years ago I got a 28' enclosed BP and I'll never do that again. Hoping to trade up to a 5th wheel because at max capacity that bumper pull was not fun to pull down the highway...

/ Trailer shopping help needed #8  
24' is about the longest I'd want to go on a tag trailer. I agree that a wood deck would be better.
I don't know if they have what you're looking for but Behnke trailers are built like a brick ****house.

/ Trailer shopping help needed #9  
Unless you have a very specific need to go with a Bumper Pull, I'd suggest you consider a gooseneck for that size and weight. Your equipment comes in around 7000#, the trailer is probably around 5000#, so 12000# Bumper Pull is really pushing it. I run a BP of just under 10,000# and I feel that is really pushing the limits - 2012 F250 diesel. And I agree with the comments about a wood deck.

/ Trailer shopping help needed #10  
Your equipment comes in around 7000#, the trailer is probably around 5000#, so 12000# Bumper Pull is really pushing it.

big tex 22' 14K lb tilt is 3500lbs http://bigtextrailers.com/pdf/14tl.pdf Add 2' and ramps and you'd be at or under 4000lbs curb weight. with a 10% tounge weight, that puts your net (cargo) weight at 11,400lbs. (personally id just go with the 22' above and fudge the last 2' off the back)

but only if you have a class 5 receiver and a WD hitch. (FYI they go all the way up to 17,000 1700TW on a 2.5" hitch if need be Reese Titan Weight Distribution w/out Shank - Trunnion Bar - 17,000 lbs GTW, 1,700 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66006)