Need Help On axle placement

/ Need Help On axle placement #1  

castiman

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 2520,jd x530
Getting ready to build a 6' x 10' single axle trailer, going to be using 3 x2 x1/4'' angle iron for the 10' run and 2'' angle for the cross members. Going to use a 3500lb axle with 74'' spring centers. My question is what would be the correct location to set the center of the axle.

/ Need Help On axle placement #2  
60/40 Rule , Center of axle should be 60% back from the front of the frame-do not include the tongue. So it should be 6' back on a 10' trailer. Google "Trailer axle location"

/ Need Help On axle placement #3  
3x2x1/4 concerns me for your "main frame", unless you build a ladder type side rail.

/ Need Help On axle placement #4  
It depends on what you use to pull it and what you haul. I Iike my axle further back more like 70/30. Tongue heavy pulls better to me but I have a heavy diesel truck. I also feel you need to consider some 2 x3 or 2 x 4 boxed tubing for your main frame long runs. I had a store bought trailer made similar to what you describe and it was weak, flexed and bounced a lot. I tend to over build things. The last trailer I built was a 10 foot single axle dump trailer. It was rearended by a 18 wheeler. Towed trailer home. 18 wheelers whole front was tore off, suspension damage, had to be towed away. Build it like you dont ever want to work on it again. Put wire in conduit. Good luck.

/ Need Help On axle placement #5  
I agree with the boxed tubing. The angle will have to much flex.

/ Need Help On axle placement #6  
If built right the 3x2 will be fine if you build it with a full wrap around tongue. 60/40 is the standard but further back makes it pull better but a little more difficult to maneuver in tight spots.

Chris

/ Need Help On axle placement #7  
If tilt bed they closer to 50/50 which makes loading them so you weight on tongue more of a challenge.

/ Need Help On axle placement #8  
The rule of thumb that I use for my trailers is to place the axle a half inch back of center for every foot of deck length. So for your trailer that would place the axle center at 5'5" from the front.....Craig