I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top...

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #1  

HHR

Platinum Member
Tractor
1997 Daewoo Dsl 801
I purchased a used 2008 Chevy Impala this last summer and it came with an Optima "Yellow Top" Starting/Deep Cycle battery installed in it. The battery was made in March of 2011 and has been trouble free until now.
Yesterday I went to move the car and it just made a faint click and wouldn't crank. I put my 10 amp charger on the battery for about one hour and made the critical mistake of putting the charger on "50 amp boost" during my next cranking attempt. Turning the key gave me no clicks, lights or cranking. I shut off the charger and the battery was making creaking noises and a small plume of smoke came out from the fuse box as I watched my fusible links melt.
I immediately removed the negative cable from the battery to prevent further damage.

I later found out that Optima batteries cannot be "boosted" at more than 10 amps. I guess I've learned my lesson the hard way. I was in a hurry to move the car and i should have disconnected the battery and charged it (at a low rate) overnight. Now I need to find out where to get the correct size fusible links. They look to be 10-12 gauge. But the outer part of the link says 3 50. mm.
0EC39DA9-C03D-4DE5-83E1-AD4DB9081CC0-702-00000106ABFD72E8.jpg

1D235697-5044-4CF4-8348-CA1A18EE0670-702-00000107517E0B1C.jpg

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #2  
I am so glad you posted this. I did not know this. How did you find out about the charging amperage limit?

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #4  
While I believe the facts about not charging the battery more than 10 amps, I don't think that is your only problem. I would investigate the electrical system a little better before you put another battery in there.

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top...
I think I will check my positive cable for a short to ground before I put the new battery in. The fusible link that burned turned out to be 12 gauge or 2.0 SQ MM.

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #6  
I agree with Mike and I'll bet the battery is fine, you have other problems. CJ

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #7  
The 10 amp limit is for battery charging via a battery charger.

Here are the complete specs, note the numbers of times that the words "no amperage limit" appear (emphasis added). Like someone stated above, you have other problems and it's probably not with this battery.

"Recommended charging information:

Alternator:

13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:

13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for 6-12 hours.

Cyclic Applications:

14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125ーF (51.7ーC). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 2 amp constant current for 1 hour.

Rapid Recharge:

Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125ーF (51.7ーC). Charge until current drops below 1 amp."

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #8  
Yeah the fuse links would have nothing to do with charging the battery far as carrying current unless it was on backwards wouldn't make any sense because they are on the car side of the battery. A short in the car would fry them and it should but straight hooking a charger up may waste a gel battery but should have nothing to do with fuse links. my .002

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #9  
The 10 amp limit is for battery charging via a battery charger.

"Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, approximately for 6-12 hours.

That makes no sense. How and why does the battery react differently depending on whether it is connected to an alternator-powered charging system versus a utility-powered charging system? If I stuck two wires through a wall, and there was nominal charging voltage on those wires (say 13.8Vdc), you'd have a hard time telling me whether the power was being sourced by an alternator or a charger.

Any way you charge the battery, as the state-of-charge increases towards 100% the battery terminal voltage increases and accordingly the charging current will decrease -- and therefore the entire charging process is self-limiting.

Wrooster

/ I Just Destroyed My Optima Yellow Top... #10  
By the way, there is one more clue here: a car made in 2008 should not be going on it's third battery... that is pointing to a separate problem altogether.

Wrooster