"New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm #1  

elginfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4400
Ok everybody. I need some assistance here. Today I became the owner of a 1993 Ford F 350 Dually Dump. It has a gas motor and a manual 4 speed with overdrive tranny that sounds a little tired and the body is a little rough, but it cost me nothing. I will contact the Ford dealer with the Vin to find out what motor it has and see what it needs. The dump bed has the fold down sides and wil make a good farm truck. Right now though I am having a problem with the dump. The truck has two pull up levers on the floor. One to control the pump, and the other for the PTO. I pull up the pump control, then put the clutch in and engage the PTO, but the dump does not raise. I am accepting all information, advice, and suggestions for the truck. Thanks in advance for your input.
Best regards,
Eldon

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm #2  
1) with truck off have helper operate pump control and you verify that control lever actuates pump mechanism from under truck.
2) engage PTO... clutch out.... get out and look under the bed and see if PTO shaft is spinning to pump.
3) operate pump control in both directions, dont believe what any stickers may have to say.

if both 1,2,3 and still no workie

then your pump is low on fluid and needs to be filled. any standard hydraulic fluid will suffice.

this is likely require you to jack bed up and access fill port on side of the pump/cylinder.

saftey note, always block the bed up and use more than one blocking method.

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm
Thanks for the advice. I can see the PTO shaft turning, so I will try your other suggestions and see what happens. Can I use a floor jack with a block to raise the bed and continue to block it in position or is there some other method I should consider for jacking up the bed?

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm #4  
1) with truck off have helper operate pump control and you verify that control lever actuates pump mechanism from under truck.
2) engage PTO... clutch out.... get out and look under the bed and see if PTO shaft is spinning to pump.
3) operate pump control in both directions, dont believe what any stickers may have to say.
if both 1,2,3 and still no workie
then your pump is low on fluid and needs to be filled. any standard hydraulic fluid will suffice.
this is likely require you to jack bed up and access fill port on side of the pump/cylinder.
saftey note, always block the bed up and use more than one blocking method.
One thing I might add, if the PTO spins, but the bed doesn't go up, try moving the control lever from under the truck. My parents used to have a 1994 "F Superduty" (aka F450) dump truck and when they got it, the linkage that ran the lift/lower was sloppy enough that it didnt like to or lift. Tightening and adjusting things made it work nicely.

Aaron Z

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm #6  
Can I use a floor jack with a block to raise the bed and continue to block it in position or is there some other method I should consider for jacking up the bed?

sounds sketchy..... Id worry about the angle and post wanting to kick the jack out.

you have a friend with a decent size FEL that can lift it? Have a location you hang an overhead chain hoist and lift it that way?

The PTO powered lift that was on my dump bed had an integrated pump/cylinder/sump so the fill hole was on the side of the cylinder. the fill on yours may be different if there is a remote reservoir.

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm #7  
I would engage the PTO with someone underneath and have them try engaging the lever on the pump that raises the bed first.

Aaron Z

/ "New" 93 F 350 Dump Truck for the Farm #8  
Today I became the owner of a 1993 Ford F 350 Dually Dump. It has a gas motor and a manual 4 speed with overdrive tranny that sounds a little tired and the body is a little rough, but it cost me nothing.

How did that end up happening?

BTW, got any pics? :D