Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #1  

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
I need to purchase chains for my car, a Toyota Camry. I am trying to decide between regular chains or cable chains.

If it were a truck, regular chains for sure but can't decide on mid size cars. Several years ago I had cable chains, older versions and wasn't really happy with the durability.

Any recommendation and why?

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #2  
I read that some cars require cable chains due to tight clearances. Check your manual.

Bruce

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains
This car, a Toyota Camry, is front wheel drive. I had the tire store tell me that I can no longer have studs on only the front wheels, rather either need them on all four or back only. I assume this is accurate, what about chains on a front wheel drive car - rear or front?

Last edited:
   / Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #4  
Studs are easier to manage than chains or cables IMO. The rears first requirement is to keep the lawyers happy. Otherwise when someone does a panic stop, the back end of the car could end up leading the way forward.

Aaron Z

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #5  
WSDOT - Studded Tire Information

says nothing about front or rear only for studs (sounds like a marketing ploy to me)

also says if your going to drive the passes you need chains in addtion as studs arnt enough on a 2x4 car/truck

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains
It's all about lawsuits as I discovered. The tire stores will not sell and install studs on only the front wheels in a front wheel drive car. They will sell them to you on wheels so you can go home and do as you please.

One more place our society of sue happy people live and the courts uphold it.

I'm going with chains and should be fine. Driving from Boise to the Seattle area over multiple snow covered passes.

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #7  
Unless the rules have changed over the last 30 years, you required to have chains to go over the passes in Oregon. If you get stuck or stopped without them the fines get real steep. Typically you would only need the chains on for a short time over the passes and then remove them. Not sure what year Camry you have but on our 08 it would be very tight fit to try and install regular chain type chains.

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #8  
Unless the rules have changed over the last 30 years, you required to have chains to go over the passes in Oregon..

as he is travelling in WA... I posted the reliant WSDOT link about studs and the passes or "high elevations". a non-4x4 or non-awd car/truck will be required to run chains when conditions call for it (studs or no studs). (obviously failure to do so and getting caught = bad things)

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #9  
I had to use chains on a lot of police cars over the years, and saw a lot of damage to fenders due to their breaking during use. If you have to travel the highway at any speed, if they break a link you can tear up a fender. I like cable type for that reason . Dont know cost vs chain cost but would lean toward cable .

/ Car snow chains: regulars chains vs. cable chains #10  
If you got to have chains by law, I guess you need them. But if you put studded snows on all 4 corners, throw in 2 40lb bags of sand in the trunk, and you'd be impressed. We usually buy 4 extra rims for winter tires. Depends on how long you keep a car, but we easily go thru a few set of tires anyways.

I also have seen alot of damage done by chains on cars/pickups. Not fun having to unwind chains off of the vehicle.