Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

Default Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans.

Automotive News
    Read it for yourself.
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...eed-stay-tuned
    GM saying to look for changes in the early life cycle of the trucks.
    Transmissions and Engines
    Even a Ford/GM venture in a 10 speed transmission
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...cars-to-trucks
    2012 JD 2320, HOMEMADE CANOPY, 54" FRONT BLADE, 54" MID DECK MOWER, HYDRAULIC ANGLE 60" REAR BLADE, QUICK HITCH, STAINLESS FRONT MOUNT SPRAY TANK W/BOOM, 200CX LOADER W/ 61" BUCKET, HOMEMADE BALLAST BOX,HOMEMADE BUCKET GRAPPLE
    1998 "BIG DOOLEY" Chevy K3500 Crew Cab (36.000 miles & counting)

United Steel Workers Union 12934

Tractor
    Farmtrac DTC270, Kubota G5200hydro, Honda recon 250, Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4, 2003 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4

Default Re: Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans.

The second link got my interest peaked about what GM is cooking up. Thanks for posting.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

The 10 speed will be a game changer for both Ford and GM.

I still don't see the diesel as a viable option. Today here gas is 2.98 while diesel is about 4.25. $1.25 difference and $6000 upfront will make it a tough sell.

Chris

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post

I still don't see the diesel as a viable option. Today here gas is 2.98 while diesel is about 4.25. $1.25 difference and $6000 upfront will make it a tough sell.

Chris
    Especially the way that modern Diesel engines have been robbed of all their efficiency.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Chris
    We are paying $5.20 + for both. What scares me is all the extra emissions stuff on these diesels. I kerp a truck 10 years plus, not sure how wrll a diesel would hold out over that long a run.

The new gen gm gassernis good enough for me.

But that 4.5 is tempting...
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

Chris
    Absolutely. And with direct injected gas engines becoming popular, there is less and less advantage to the diesel. The other thing is that the current diesel offerings have really led the development of the new generations of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to handle the power. A diesel in the 1/2 ton trucks, as a premium engine, will require strengthening of the entire chassis and driveline. The line between 1/2 ton and 3/4 will be muddied out of necessity.
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Let the "I hate America, GM, Grandma and Apple Pie" gibberish crowd commence.
    I don't know if you guys read any comments from that site, but here is one. Sound familiar? Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into what most of the other ones do.

I find it odd that they had so much to say about a lot of upcoming cars, but had almost nothing about the new trucks... even though that was supposed to be the point of the article. I

I always thought a small diesel in a half ton would be a good idea, not talking 500hp and 1000 ft/lbs, but one that would be comparable to the gas engines... just for efficiency's sake, but now (as stated by others) since a lot of the advantages are off the table, it doesn't seem like such a good idea.

What does the 10 speed give you that the 6 and 8 speeds don't (besdies an extra 4 or 2 gears)?

And I mean for everyday, normal driving, not towing something heavy up hills and mountains? My 6 speed already shifts way too much for my liking on flat ground.
    Kubota L3400 HST with FEL, R1 Tires, 4x4
    Ford 1910 Gear tractor
    Ford Box Blade
    Land-Pride spreader
    Armstrong Ag Disc
    Landpride Clamp on Forks

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

I think the diesel 1/2 ton is coming. I wish sulphur in diesel fuel was coming back. I also believe the truck that shows up with it first may be a big surprise. I wonder about the longevity of the 8 and 10 speed transmission just like I wonder about my beloved ecoboost. Hmmmm...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Powerstar T4.75

Personally I think some sort of electronically controlled split range rear end would be better than an 8 or 10 speed transmission. For the way that most of these vehicles are utilized, even those that tow a lot, there is a point of diminishing returns with the number of gears in a transmission. The gas and diesel engines in pickups are designed to make power over a very wide range of RPM, whereas in the over the road trucks the diesels are often really suited to only a limited RPM range therefore they need more gears to keep them in the smaller sweet spot. For mileage gains I think you'd be able to realize more benefit and a larger difference in final drive ratio by adding a split range rear end.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

My toys:
    - 2013 New Holland Powerstar T4.75 cab tractor with FEL
    - Alamo SHD 88 Flail Mower
    - RAD Technologies Blizzard B94 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower
    - Bush Hog Squealer 60" (looking for an upgrade)
    - 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Z71 Duramax/Allison
    - 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 Stealth
    - PJ 20+5 foot Gooseneck Deckover trailer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast