Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans.

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #1  

BIG DOOLEY

Platinum Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE 2320
   / Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #2  
The second link got my interest peaked about what GM is cooking up. Thanks for posting.

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #3  
The 10 speed will be a game changer for both Ford and GM.

I still don't see the diesel as a viable option. Today here gas is 2.98 while diesel is about 4.25. $1.25 difference and $6000 upfront will make it a tough sell.

Chris

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #4  

I still don't see the diesel as a viable option. Today here gas is 2.98 while diesel is about 4.25. $1.25 difference and $6000 upfront will make it a tough sell.

Chris

Especially the way that modern Diesel engines have been robbed of all their efficiency.

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #5  

Chris

We are paying $5.20 + for both. What scares me is all the extra emissions stuff on these diesels. I kerp a truck 10 years plus, not sure how wrll a diesel would hold out over that long a run.

The new gen gm gassernis good enough for me.

But that 4.5 is tempting...

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #6  

Chris

Absolutely. And with direct injected gas engines becoming popular, there is less and less advantage to the diesel. The other thing is that the current diesel offerings have really led the development of the new generations of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to handle the power. A diesel in the 1/2 ton trucks, as a premium engine, will require strengthening of the entire chassis and driveline. The line between 1/2 ton and 3/4 will be muddied out of necessity.

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #7  
Let the "I hate America, GM, Grandma and Apple Pie" gibberish crowd commence.

I don't know if you guys read any comments from that site, but here is one. Sound familiar? Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into what most of the other ones do.

I find it odd that they had so much to say about a lot of upcoming cars, but had almost nothing about the new trucks... even though that was supposed to be the point of the article. I

I always thought a small diesel in a half ton would be a good idea, not talking 500hp and 1000 ft/lbs, but one that would be comparable to the gas engines... just for efficiency's sake, but now (as stated by others) since a lot of the advantages are off the table, it doesn't seem like such a good idea.

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #8  
What does the 10 speed give you that the 6 and 8 speeds don't (besdies an extra 4 or 2 gears)?

And I mean for everyday, normal driving, not towing something heavy up hills and mountains? My 6 speed already shifts way too much for my liking on flat ground.

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #9  
I think the diesel 1/2 ton is coming. I wish sulphur in diesel fuel was coming back. I also believe the truck that shows up with it first may be a big surprise. I wonder about the longevity of the 8 and 10 speed transmission just like I wonder about my beloved ecoboost. Hmmmm...

/ Chevy Diesel News & 8-speed Trans. PLUS Ford/Chevy 10 speed Trans. #10  
Personally I think some sort of electronically controlled split range rear end would be better than an 8 or 10 speed transmission. For the way that most of these vehicles are utilized, even those that tow a lot, there is a point of diminishing returns with the number of gears in a transmission. The gas and diesel engines in pickups are designed to make power over a very wide range of RPM, whereas in the over the road trucks the diesels are often really suited to only a limited RPM range therefore they need more gears to keep them in the smaller sweet spot. For mileage gains I think you'd be able to realize more benefit and a larger difference in final drive ratio by adding a split range rear end.