2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I would like to hear some input on these 2 vehicles. One will be replacing a 2012 Traverse as our need for a backup tow vehicle capable of hauling at least 6. Both have the 5.3 and tow package. The Tahoe has 11k miles and asking price is 33k. The Suburban has 42k miles and is 31k. They will see only 9-10k miles a year. Towing will be very limited and no more than 5k lbs. We own a 2011 Silverado that is our main tow vehicle. Any thoughts or input on these vehicles? If this thread turns into bailout or bashing talk, I will ask for it to be closed. Please keep it clean.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #2  
If given that the are both similarly equipped (gearing etc) and given that they have 3rd row seating, you would only gain more rear storage with the Suburban...You stated that you have to haul 6...I, personally, don't like 3 across in the front seat anytime, so I would hope third row is in the options...Let alone towing in that situation...I've owned both of different vintages and I loved them both.

The Tahoe was easier to park, kinda like a short bed pickup...The Suburban was a slightly bigger challenge but nothing major.

More details on each if you can.

I hope you get your answer before the ususal suspects start their typical anti GM rants.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #3  
You can put 3 complete vintage Baker windmills into the back of a Tahoe. That's good enough for me.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #4  
Assuming the Tahoe meets your needs, I'd go for the low mileage Tahoe over the Suburban, especially since the prices are similar.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #5  
I would like to hear some input on these 2 vehicles. One will be replacing a 2012 Traverse as our need for a backup tow vehicle capable of hauling at least 6. Both have the 5.3 and tow package. The Tahoe has 11k miles and asking price is 33k. The Suburban has 42k miles and is 31k. They will see only 9-10k miles a year. Towing will be very limited and no more than 5k lbs. We own a 2011 Silverado that is our main tow vehicle. Any thoughts or input on these vehicles? If this thread turns into bailout or bashing talk, I will ask for it to be closed. Please keep it clean.

The Tahoe wins only because of lower miles. And, you could probably get it for the same money.

If price and mileage were the same I'd personally prefer the Suburban. We have a Yukon XL and it's great to have the extra room. Parking is not a big issue with it where I drive it but if I was driving it in downtown Houston everyday I might think differently.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #6  
I would vote for the suburban. After owning a tahoe, with the 3rd row seat up, there is zero storage. The suburban will give you the storage and seating capacity.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #7  
I've been driving both since 1986 and currently have two Tahoes, a 2008 and a 2003. I prefer Suburbans (or Yukon XL) because of the room behind the third seat. I would not worry about mileage, my 2003 is at 196,000 and the 2008 is pushing 100K. Both run perfect with nothing more than scheduled maintenance.

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #8  
Rarely have I ever said "I wish I had a smaller vehicle", with that said, I'd go with the Suburban and talk them down to $29k because gas prices are so high and it's a guzzler. ;-)

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban #9  
Suburban is much more vehicle but is tougher to park, ect. Towing it will be better though.

Chris

/ 2011 Tahoe vs 2011 Suburban
If given that the are both similarly equipped (gearing etc) and given that they have 3rd row seating, you would only gain more rear storage with the Suburban...You stated that you have to haul 6...I, personally, don't like 3 across in the front seat anytime, so I would hope third row is in the options...Let alone towing in that situation...I've owned both of different vintages and I loved them both.

The Tahoe was easier to park, kinda like a short bed pickup...The Suburban was a slightly bigger challenge but nothing major.

More details on each if you can.

I hope you get your answer before the ususal suspects start their typical anti GM rants.

What is funny is both are very similar, both have 3rd row seating, both are black on black. We are leaning towards the suburban due to the extra space behind the seats. We do not want to remove the third row seats unless absolutely necessary. According to carfax, both are one owner. I do feel the suburban will tow better, having a longer wheel base will hopefully result in less rear sag. If it does tow, it will be pulling a 3 horse featherlite aluminum horse trailer on a 10 mile run to the vet. Total weight with horse will be around 4500-5000 lbs.