Actual trailer carrying capacity

/ Actual trailer carrying capacity #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Let me make sure I have this right.

Assume I buy a gooseneck trailer that has two 7k axles it has a a GVWR of 14k. The trailer weighs 4000lb. At first glance this leaves 10,000 lb for payload.

However on a gooseneck you want 20% of the weight on the tongue so could I actually have a 13,500lb payload on the trailer if it was balanced perfectly such that I have 14k on the axles and 3.5k on the tongue? Would this be overloading the trailer?

/ Actual trailer carrying capacity #2  
Your math seems ok, but I'd hesitate to run up to the limits with 'balanced perfectly' never a sure thing, and smooth sailing never a guarantee. There are trailers around shipping new with tires that aren't up to their axle ratings, so check tire load ratings too when you shop. As for overall capacity I tend to allow an extra 20% weight allowance since anything/everything seems to load heavier than it adds up to, and because trailer builders' weight claims can be a bit imperfect too. Go big if you can ...

/ Actual trailer carrying capacity
Thanks. I know it is always better to have some margin in your trailer capacity. I just was looking at getting this trailer to haul a 11,000 lb skid steer. The skid steer is short relative to the trailer so I can position it exactly where need be. To go any larger in trailer the next step up from the 14k I have seen is a 20k tandem dual which puts you in CDL territory which I do not want.

/ Actual trailer carrying capacity #4  
In my experience, a lot of these 'black' cookie cutter trailers are grossly over rated, particularly in the axle / wheel / tire combinations.

/ Actual trailer carrying capacity #5  
Thanks. I know it is always better to have some margin in your trailer capacity. I just was looking at getting this trailer to haul a 11,000 lb skid steer. The skid steer is short relative to the trailer so I can position it exactly where need be. To go any larger in trailer the next step up from the 14k I have seen is a 20k tandem dual which puts you in CDL territory which I do not want.
You can have a 14K trailer built up to 16K by upgrading to 8K axles, 17.5 tires, etc. Or some manufacturers have a 16K already speced out.

PJ: PJ Trailers - Classic Flatdeck with Singles (FS)

Pequea: http://www.pequea.com/images/stories/manuals/trailer/gooseneck/GooseneckTrailers_SS_lo.pdf

Kaufman: 24Ft, 17,000 lb. Standard Duty Deluxe Gooseneck

And I have seen others. Of course if you go with a 16K trailer you truck would have to be 10K GVW or less so as not to require CDL.

/ Actual trailer carrying capacity #6